Froeschwiller tomorrow

Started by Leman, 08 October 2017, 09:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Happy birthday.

Could you post a picture of the cake?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: fsn on 09 October 2017, 09:42:01 AM
Happy birthday.

Could you post a picture of the cake?

More importantly, send us all cake!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 09 October 2017, 01:36:06 PM
More importantly, send us all cake!
Or a beer so we can al toast to your health! (easier in the mail too)

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Cracking! And happy birthday :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Womble67

Looks good and Happy Birthday

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

KTravlos

Happy Birthday! What a great way to celebrate!

Leman

10 October 2017, 09:39:27 AM #21 Last Edit: 10 October 2017, 09:52:41 AM by Leman
Well it was a disaster for the French, who conceded at the end of move six. At this point the Prussians had accrued all their possible victory points, bar taking Reichshoffen, with still more reserves to come on, whilst the French had lost so many troops that it had become impossible to save the situation and the few survivors took the initial option to hurry south to Strassbourg. It also proved a magnificent day for the Bavarians. Raw apparently stands for Really Awesome  Warriors.

The game opened with the Bavarians advancing into the shelter of the Sultzbach valley whilst the Bavarian artillery manoeuvred into position on the high ground SE of Langensultzbach. 7th Bavarian brigade meanwhile advanced towards Woerth. The French made a crucial mistake right at the beginning by strengthening their southern flank and attempting to cross the river opposite Gunstett. This became an abject failure as massed Prussian artillery rolled onto the board and kept the French pinned to the east.

The French now changed tack and decided to rush Woreth and cross the river there, but being passive troops they failed to enter the town, as opposed to Prussian 20th brigade, who blithely waltzed in to the eastern suburbs. consequently the French sent 1st brigade of 7th corps to attempt a river crossing south of Woerth, but by now more Prussian troops and artillery appeared to pound the French into a standstill the wrong side of the river.

The remaining troops of 7th corps dithered about and got nowhere, likewise the mitrailleuse, which never unlimbered all game.

As the impasse from Woerth southwards played out, with the French losing more and more troops, and the Prussians losing a few as well, the Bavarians capitalised on the quieter northern sector. 7th brigade threw back the 1st corps troops whilst 8th brigade closed on the flanks of the 3rd brigade of French 1st corps busily still trying to get into the as yet unoccupied eastern suburbs of Woerth. Again the French were thrown back, the Bavarians entered Woerth   and now began to plague the flanks of 7th corps. In the south brave, but passive, Turcos failed to leave their woods, whilst other French troops were reduced and fell back as their artillery support was destroyed. Even more Prussians (and Wurtemburgers) entered the fray. Time for 2nd French cavalry division to deliver a glorious charge - er no, wiped out by Bavarian fire.  This was the point (3 hours on) that the French position became untenable.

The French deploy:

The 1st corps troops preparing to take Woerth:

7th Bavarian brigade approaches Woerth:

1st corps still trying to get into Woerth whilst in the distance the Bavarians approach. 7th corps begins the advance towards the Sultzbach:

8th Bavarian brigade throws back the French 1st corps troops near Froeschwiller:

Towards the end of the battle - very few French troops in evidence, but Prussian guns dominating the hills on the horizon:

The figures were my opponent's 10mm collection which he brought over for the game, many of which I had originally painted in the early 90s. They include older Pendraken, Wargames South, Chariot and Aim (ACW zouaves).

Finally, very many thanks for all the birthday wishes. It became a great weekend with family, friends and a really good game.  :-bd
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Ouch, a kicking was administered there! 😱
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Well, it looks nice at least!

Alsace-Lorraine shall forever remain German then :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Yes, I'm afraid that was a must try harder report.  :-[

Chris Pringle

Many happy returns! I'm glad to hear you had such a good birthday weekend. And a beautiful game, too, up to your usual high standard.

Very rude of your opponent not to let you win on your birthday, though.  ;)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Quote from: Chris Pringle on 10 October 2017, 10:00:28 AM
Many happy returns! I'm glad to hear you had such a good birthday weekend. And a beautiful game, too, up to your usual high standard.

Very rude of your opponent not to let you win on your birthday, though.  ;)

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/
He didn't know. I don't like a lot of fuss. However, he did give me a gift - three fully painted 6mm C18th armies that he had no use for - British, French and US - so that takes care of 1740-1783 beyond my usual Austrian, Prussian and Russian games.  :)

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 10 October 2017, 11:40:10 AM
He didn't know.

Not a forum member, then? Nevertheless, despite the "Sacre Bleu!" result, great way to spend your birthday!  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

One of my other major opponents, who is in cahoots re. the Trumpton Project, the Seven Years War and Belgium 1914 is a forum member.