Historical Photos Repository

Started by ErHo, 06 October 2017, 04:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

It was only after "Fritzie" was fitted with prescription glasses that his full potential as a sniper came to the fore.
Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

Quote from: howayman on 13 October 2017, 07:00:33 PM
Is it just me, or are some of them out of step?  ;)

They're certainly the right class for officer materiel, that's for sure.

Damnit now I have the Jam stuck on loop in my head.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Eton rifles...Eton rifles....

Anyway.....That dog should probably have gone to Specsavers.

(I expect there will be some Youtube clips that our friends overseas will need to see, to understand that last comment.  :D)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And maybe even the first comment if they didn't get the British New Wave...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

It seems to have the dimensions of a "Shotgun Wedding" but that is pure speculation.

Each Spring the Sons and Grandsons wheel the Old Man out for the traditional "watering of the garden"

As to the bafflement of those of us across the sea, I for one understand less than half of what goes on here.
Sleep with clean hands ...

ErHo

16 October 2017, 09:32:21 PM #37 Last Edit: 16 October 2017, 10:10:06 PM by ErHo
Heres a UK collection, looks like a couple of good close up shots of details I havnt normally seen.  

"Beam me up Scotty"

Lt. James Montgomery "Jimmy" Doohan, 14th Field Artillery Regiment of the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division. (March 3, 1920 – July 20, 2005)

Uh, youre holding your AK-47 upside down, sir....

Royal Marines from 45 (RM) Commando, 1st Commando Brigade on the look-out for snipers among the ruins in Osnabrück, Lower Saxony, Germany. 4th of April 1945.

WW1 tank

German A7-V tank "Adalbert" with two of its crew being transported upon a railway flat car. France, Spring 1918

Firey Spit

Repair and Salvage Unit working on a damaged Spitfire Mk IX, No 403 Squadron RCAF at B.2 forward airstrip at Bazenville, Normandy. 19/6/44

Kiwis, Coffee or tea?

New Zealand soldiers drinking tea during a break in manoeuvres in the Cassino area in Italy, 5 April 1944.

Ha! it was tea, I bet you didnt see that coming!   ;)
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Duke Speedy of Leighton

17 October 2017, 08:56:14 AM #38 Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 09:07:13 AM by mad lemmey
Doohan was wounded three time during the Normandy Campaign
https://m.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/james-montgomery-doohan-wwii-veteran-chief-mechanic-starship-enterprise.html

Born 2222 in Linlithgow!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

What an interesting way these Marines have to be on the look out for snipers... I'm pretty sure you'll find one this way...or he'll find you first probably!
May I suggest you try to keep out of sight yourselves gentlemen?

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Reminds of Adm. Woodwards order to HMS Alacrity to go check Falkland Sound for any Argentine presence (unspoken - you're most expendable and we don't have a minesweeper); apparently the Captain responded with "And would you like us to zigzag around a little, sir?" ...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

toxicpixie

Alacrity wasn't so much a blunder as deliberate, in a "the minesweepers can't Sail this far as we never thought we'd need them to, and you're a fifties hangover with no useful weapons or sensors or helicopters, and as such if you run into a mine we wont have to lose anyone crucial" :/

So, the officers directly responsible for losing Shieffield and her crew avoided courts martial and the evidence was covered up to promote a jubilant public relations image? It's like everything the centre and left said about Thatcher & co. at the time was true!

Raider4

Quote from: toxicpixie on 17 October 2017, 08:28:58 PM
Alacrity wasn't so much a blunder as deliberate, in a "the minesweepers can't Sail this far as we never thought we'd need them to, and you're a fifties hangover with no useful weapons or sensors or helicopters, and as such if you run into a mine we wont have to lose anyone crucial" :/

Commissioned 2nd July 1977 (source: Wikipedia . . .), so not really a "fifties hangover".

Cheers, M.
--

toxicpixie

No, you're right, lazy remembering on my part ;)

It was her Seacat Woodward was referring to, which was technically just an early sixties in service date!