Operation Market-Garden - The Drive Towards Valkenswaard - A BKCII ARR

Started by Steve J, 01 October 2017, 01:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

An AAR report of a solo game I played on Friday, using BKCII ruleset. All figures etc are from Pendraken. Hope you like it.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/operation-market-garden-drive-towards.html

petercooman

Nice report!!!

Oh, and get a typhoon to please the miniature gods  ;)

Steve J

I have a Typhoon Peter, but not yet painted. I really need to get this sorted for future games.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Albie Bach

Great scenario and report. Nicely captures the opening moves of Market-Garden.  8)
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

fred.

Nice report.

Many years ago I played a very similar scenario, probably using BKC I, with similar outcomes. I seem to recall that the German infantry in woods where deadly as they were able to ambush tanks in Panzerfaust range and as such could roll loads of dice to attack.

I'd definitely add more tanks, and some half-tracks. The Grenadier Guards where the Motor Battalion in Guards armoured, and definitely were in half-tracks. These would be useful at Nijmegen as well.

A Market Garden campaign would be good - I've been thinking about doing one for years now! To me, I think it is the British who are having to husband their resources more - they have limited front line troops, not least because of the single road issue. And had to spend a lot of time and effort shuttling Guards Armoured back up and down the road to counter attack German attacks attempting to cut the road. I think for the Germans its more about throwing in the latest reinforcements to get a result - then seeing where the next set of reinforcements come in. This does suggest a wider strategic game to drive the reinforcements, or at least some kind of randomisation mechanism to drive this.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Thanks Fred. I think we've all thought about gaming Market-Garden to a lesser or greater extent over the years. This is certainly true of my gaming chums. I can see a need for re-inforcements in the near future :).

Sunray

Inspirational stuff Steve, and thanks for sharing.  Nice to see a MG game that focuses on the Garden.

I have memory of a battle field tour some years ago, up that N69 across the Polder. A tributary of the  Dommel River  cuts the road just south of  Valkenswaard.  The polder does limit armoured tactics.

Its inspired me for such a flank in my next bush war game. A narrow causeway across a swamp that will only take light tracked armour.

Must order more Chaffees from Leon.

Steve J

Thanks Sunray :). Most games do seem to focus on the Market part of the operation, but I think they miss out on the many challenges of the Garden part. Nice to know I've inspired you for your next game and look forward to hearing how it went.

T13A

Hi Steve

Great report and thanks for sharing.

Were the  forces organised into specific 'formations'?

As an aside, how do you think BKC-II would cope with the more intensive fighting in built-up-areas (BUA's) involved with 1st Airborne Division up in Oosterbeek/Arnhem? Do you think it would capture the feel of that type of action?

Just for information I was one of those who was dismayed by the way BCK-III dealt with BUA's and was just hoping for a bit more clarification/explanation in the way BKC-II dealt with this aspect of the rules.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

fred.

I've done a bit of a solo play through of the defence of Arnhem bridge by 2 Para, using BKC II. The Paras in buildings are hugely tough, if the germans are in the open they get shot to pieces. If they take take pot shots at troops in buildings then not much happens.  All this seems a reasonable simulation. But not sure how much of a game it makes.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

In terms of formations, the following is a broad guideline:

British tanks 1 x HQ
6 infantry with support 1 x HQ (1 on each flank)

German
On board kampfgruppe under 1 x HQ
Off table 6 infantry and 2 Stug IIIs 1 x HQ
Off table Stug III and support units 1 x CO

I agree with Fred re: fighting in large built up areas; they are mostly drawn out affairs that, whilst a good simulation, make for pretty dull games. The attacker really needs lots of artillery, tanks and flamethrowers IMHO. Another option is the 'hits stay on' that we use, which certainly speeds things up. To be honest for these sort of actions, I think Company level rules such as 'IABSM' by the Too Fat Lardies and 'Battlegroup' are better options., the latter of which has just released (or is about too) as specific supplement for Market-Garden.

Hope this helps?