An attempt at "beauty" shots of my 10mm Russo-Ottoman 1877-1878 War figures

Started by KTravlos, 01 November 2017, 07:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

It is all the fault of Baccus Dave! I set up a "big" battalions style photo shoot for my Pendraken Russians and Ottomans. I am not good at this :p

https://phdleadhead.blogspot.com.tr/2017/11/some-playing-with-toys-regimental.html

With Respect
KTravlos

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Good Blog post and one that I largely agree with. 28mm looks good and makes for nice photos for magazines, but as Rick Priestly said, the games always look like school geography field trips rather than large battles.

fred.

Good article.

I like what you have tried to capture with the photos. But I think they do highlight how much effort is needed to make them look like photos of a battle, rather than of toy soldiers. The camera is harsh and picks out lots of stuff that you don't notice in a game, but become very obvious in a static diorama (which a photo always will be).

It would be great if 10mm and 6mm manufactures could produce more marketing and publicity material. But I suspect they just don't have the time or the budget to do this. I've managed to produce the odd really good shot of 10mm stuff in action (the tanks on the background of the Pendraken website, which is also used on show banners is one I took for a painting comp a good few years ago). And taking more shots like this is something I would like to do, but it never gets done - perhaps I'll do some for the current painting comp.

But it does seem quite hard to make small scale stuff look photogenic. I think one of the reasons is that you tend to want to show more stuff - which tends to need a bigger area, which is usually gaming mat or similiar which then tends to need work to look good. Whereas with 28mm the photo can be quite tight on a few figures, and there is much less table showing.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

It's not easy.  Most of my 10mm closeups end up being out of focus somewhere in the shot, or fuzzy as a result of camera shake.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steeleye

Quote from: Leman on 02 November 2017, 05:28:31 AM
It's not easy.  Most of my 10mm closeups end up being out of focus somewhere in the shot, or fuzzy as a result of camera shake.

Get a book about photography and learn about 'depth of field' and use a proper camera.

Buy a tripod.

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 02 November 2017, 05:28:31 AM
It's not easy.  Most of my 10mm closeups end up being out of focus somewhere in the shot, or fuzzy as a result of camera shake.

Mine just end up underlining the shortcomings of my painting.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Jesus

2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

Leman

Quote from: Steeleye on 02 November 2017, 06:55:46 AM
Get a book about photography and learn about 'depth of field' and use a proper camera.

Buy a tripod.
Tripod yes, book no - too much like going back to school and after 54 years continuously in education - no thanks!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

ErHo

I like it, alot of work went into prep and posting of the pics, not to mention the paint job.

Thank you
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer