Camels - The animal,not the aircraft or cigarette

Started by Orcs, 28 September 2017, 04:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I have some 28mm Camels to paint, and while I know they are brown, I am not quite sure what sort of shadev of brown to paint them.

Some browns seem to dark, others too gingery (sorry Roy).

Suggestions please gents
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Their fur is quite light in colour on the outside, so once you've got a suitable base colour on (Cork Brown?), how about something like an Iraqi Sand or Buff to highlight?  

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Interesting that that Camel has shade so fthe Camel (aircraft) and the fingers of a Camel smoker.

If you look around there's quite a bit of variation. Some are quite dark along the hump.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

It's my understanding that camels range from white, through cream, sand, earth tones to dark brown with some species also including grey.

So, whatever looks right to you is probably going to be fine.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Albie Bach

Sadly no longer with us - RIP (2018)

petercooman

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Orcs

Thanks for the help.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 September 2017, 12:19:08 AM
Google has its uses, I hear.

I was being lazy and hoping somebody would suggest paint colours

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Orcs

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Wulf

All those pics look like some of the tidiest best kept camels I've seen pics of, usually they're scruffy looking types with great lumps of fur hanging off and a dozen shades of brown...

Orcs

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

What shade of ref lipstick DO you favour then, FSN?!,
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting