Hello from the wilds of Aberdeenshire

Started by kaiserbill, 25 September 2017, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

What Ho! Bill.

Welcome to the Forum. Well, if you've done WWI and WWII, there are still plenty of periods to game. Hang on for a tick and the Korean War will be on line, then there's the Vietnam, Falklands, Arab-Israeli (if you're not keen on infantry), Spanish Civil, and with a bit of tweaking the India-Pakistan, Russian Civil, Russo-Polish, Sino-Japanese, and of course, the Indo-China.

Think they do some earlier stuff too.  :-

What takes your fancy? C19? Medieval? Ancients?

I think the C17 to early C19 is the hardest to paint. May I suggest (as I always do) the ACW? You can get a really good effect with relatively simple uniforms, and then when you get gallus you could add Zouaves and the like.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 25 September 2017, 02:57:28 PM
Likely you are not aware of what you just said in Southern Appalachian English, but I want to affirm that none of my cousins actually ever did that!  ;) :D
Oh they should try it! Such fun. Just remember to warm the rice pudding, and don't let the children go near the flame thrower.

... oh. And make sure the razors are sharp.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 25 September 2017, 05:49:53 PM
Oh they should try it! Such fun. Just remember to warm the rice pudding, and don't let the children go near the flame thrower.

... oh. And make sure the razors are sharp.

Not bad! But flamethrower would be "dinghhee" (like in the Welch) a common mistake for non-native speakers. dingle would literally be "chicken feather blaster offer" but the usual translation would be "chicken plucker".
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fred.

Hi Bill

I'm going to make an unusual statement here, heed what fsn suggests (this may be similar to a stopped clock telling the right time twice a day, but he does offer some good ideas).

I'd definitely look to go a bit earlier to the end of the 19th Century - you still get uniforms but you get colour too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Hallo!

The WSS range has nice simple sculpts with plenty of character, and generally simple uniforms - it's a great place to start. Eventually you can move back to the League of Augsberg and go cross eyed ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

T13A

Hi

Welcome Bill. What Kitty said.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

DFlynSqrl

Welcome to the madhouse.  It's full of nice folks, just watch out for the feller with the dremel.

d_Guy

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 27 September 2017, 02:14:11 AM
... just watch out for the feller with the dremel.

Which is apparently steam powered with a half ton cast iron flywheel.  :D

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: d_Guy on 27 September 2017, 04:08:51 AM
Which is apparently steam powered with a half ton cast iron flywheel.  :D

No - its stone where Phil is, they burn metal workers as witches in Wales.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

27 September 2017, 08:35:35 AM #25 Last Edit: 27 September 2017, 09:47:53 AM by toxicpixie
Tsk, Ian, south of the border we HANG witches; only the Scots burn them!

The Welsh were disturbingly unenthusiastic anyway, only put five of them to the noose.

I think Phil's safe...

On the other hand he lives in the country with sheep, and sheep are the no.1 dangerous animal. Watch your back Phil, and listen for the "maaaa" in the night. They're coming.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Quote from: d_Guy on 25 September 2017, 02:57:28 PM
Likely you are not aware of what you just said in Southern Appalachian English, but I want to affirm that none of my cousins actually ever did that!  ;) :D

note:-  He only ruled out his cousins.  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 27 September 2017, 08:35:35 AM
The Welsh were disturbingly unenthusiastic anyway, only put five of them to the noose.

We were similarly "enlightened" but I think our body count ran slightly higher.

d_Guy

Quote from: Orcs on 27 September 2017, 09:19:24 AM
note:-  He only ruled out his cousins.  :)

You, sir, are astute. You should form an institute. ( sorry, it's stuck in my head)

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 27 September 2017, 04:07:33 PM
( sorry, it's stuck in my head)

I apologise in advance but ... that's what she said.