Army Painter Primer

Started by G-wiz, 24 September 2017, 01:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-wiz

Has anyone used the army painter primers? I tried the barbarian flesh on some barbarians and it's quite tricky to get any decent results. Are 10mm too small for the sprays or is it in the technique when applying it?

fred.

I use them quite a bit.

But just as a base colour, I don't try using strong tone (or other shade) to shade the colours. I just highlight and wash as I would if I had painted that colour.

I quite like the darker brown (fur brown?) for cavalry.

But I do sometimes feel that the whole figures ends up rather the colour of the spray, and you have to work a bit to make sure you paint all the non-base colour stuff.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Wulf

I've used a couple of different colours of the sprays, quite effective, quite long lasting. I did find it chipped off certain specific minis (DP9 Heavy Gear metal minis), but possibly I just didn't wash them enough beforehand.

Leman

No self-respecting wargamer washes, I know this from visiting shows.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

They do ... before they dry brush.  :P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I'm quite a fan of the coloured primer approach these days - the couple of AP i tried were good, but as my local model shop has GW ones I use them instead :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Fenton

I've used the leather brown one on 6mm and found it quite thick though others I know love using it on 6mm
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Leman

I used a dark red to prime some plastic 28mm British Marlburians which worked well.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!