Getting Old

Started by T13A, 21 September 2017, 09:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Somebody shoot me first, please!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Don't worry, Matey....You won't know that it's happening.  X_X

A very nice lady from the Alzheimer Society came to see us a few weeks ago.....And gave a very good 'explanation' of what happens with the condition.

Imagine a book case, filled with your own memories in diaries.....Book by book.

Top shelf, are the most recent 'diaries'.....The bottom shelf are your earliest memories, from childhood.

These books aren't stacked particularly well, and are prone to fall over.
Once they've fallen over.....That's it !....They've gone....You can't access them anymore.

Soooooooo....Once the top shelf has fallen over (with the most recent memories)...all that's going to happen is that the shelves below are going to start 'falling over' as well.....
The 'victim' is going to basically regress to childhood, as  'these books' fall over.

Not nice.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

FK - careful what you wish for.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

What a lovely metaphor Techno.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

If you like a metaphor, doesn't it become like, a simile?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 23 September 2017, 11:27:08 AM
FK - careful what you wish for.

I ain't joking. Blind, deaf, mad, or impotent - I have no wish to continue on those terms. Not sure about a wheelchair either.

Mad - well, I'm a wargamer, so of course I'm a bit round the twist. That doesn't count; just normal healthy obsessive-compulsive.

Matt J

My dad has alzhiemers and he's only 69. This might sound weird but it's not that bad. He doesn't realise he has the condition, doesn't remember that he forgets. It doesn't cause him any pain or distress  (yet) hard work for me but reassured it's not too bad for him.
That's the thing with dementia it affects others more than the patient. If that makes sense.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

Quote from: Matt J on 23 September 2017, 12:42:34 PM
That's the thing with dementia it affects others more than the patient. If that makes sense.

Certainly does, Matey.....The MIL hasn't got a clue as to how it affects me and Von.....Just lives in her own 'immediately current world'.

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher

Shaved the moustache off today for the first time in 42 years and already I look 20 minutes younger.  8)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

On porpoise or accidentally?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

After I retired from work I got my eyes laser adjusted so no more glasses, shaved off the mustache and now lots of people don't think I am an old age pensioner.
My Ego forbids a signature.

d_Guy

I have had a beard for fifty years. It is now snow white. I am often mistaken for Santa Claus.
I once shaved it of in my forties. It did not make me look even twenty minutes younger.
I made me look like Quasimodo.
In the streets strong men quavered, women fainted, small children became hysterical.
I wore a ski mask for a month until it grew back.

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

ErHo

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But dat be a Dolphin  :- :-X :d
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021