Franco-Prussian war

Started by Sandinista, 21 September 2017, 06:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandinista

Browsing the net I came across these by Frederick Engels, which was quite a surprise as I never knew he had written anything such as this. Has anyone read them?
www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1870/notes-war/index.htm

Further browsing dug up this review of these works of Engels by Trotsky, again new to me.
www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1924/03/engels.html

Now I know many people are not fans of the politics of these two  :D, can we keep any discussion to the content and not the people?

Cheers
Ian

Steve J

I think he wrote for one of the British papers, but would have to check my Bruce Weigle books as I know he is mentioned in those.

Leman

Glanced through the first one and it looked pretty interesting so I have bookmarked the site. Many thanks for posting.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

21 September 2017, 08:42:05 AM #3 Last Edit: 21 September 2017, 05:03:23 PM by Leon
Engels had a keen interest in military affairs, his friends called him 'The General'. Like most pundits he completely misread 1866, forecasting a crushing Austrian victory.

Edited.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

But he wasn't a Marxist, he was an Engelist!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mollinary

In 1866 he wrote his articles for the Manchester Guardian, in 1870-71 for the Pall Mall Gazette.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

And everyone got 1866 wrong, so they're all wrong whether on the side of privilege or people :D

Except Moltke, and he was still terrified the Prussians would lose!

I'll see if I can have a chug through those articles whilst working, cheers :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

cameronian

Actually Blumenthal called it pretty correctly, certainly at the tactical level.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

toxicpixie

The von Blumenthal who ran 2nd Army? I'm not surprised, he seems to be the under appreciated genius behind the Prussian Army and responsible for making sure Moltke's plans and schemes actually worked in practise :)

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

cameronian

He certainly thought he was a genius that's for sure.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And the only thing more dangerous than a General who thinks they are a genius is (insert lieutenant jokes here)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Reminds me of the rank chart I first read in Milligans memoirs many years ago...

QuoteGeneral- Leaps over tall buildings in a single bound, is more powerful than a locomotive, is faster than a speeding bullet, walks on water, gives policy to God.

Colonel- Leaps short buildings with a single bound, is more powerful than a switch engine, is just as fast as a speeding bullet, walks on water if the sea is calm, and talks to God.

Lt Col- Leaps short buildings with a running start and a favourable wind, is almost as powerful as a switch engine, is faster than a BB pellet, walks on ponds and talks to God if he can get the request approved.

Major- Barely clears a shed, loses tug of war with locomotives, can fire a speeding bullet, swims well, and is occasionally addressed by God

Captain- Makes high marks when trying to leap short sheds, is run over by locomotives, can sometimes handle a gun without inflicting self injury, can doggy paddle, and talks to animals.

Lieutenant- Runs into buildings, recognises locomotives 2/3 times, is not issued ammunition, can stay afloat if properly instructed, and talks to bushes and small trees.

Second Lieutenant- Falls over doorsills when trying to enter buildings, says "look a choo-choo", wets himself when given a water pistol, and mumbles to himself from time to time.

Sargeant Major- Lifts buildings out of the way, kicks locomotives off the track, catches speeding bullets with his teeth and chews ’em up, freezes water with a single glance, HE IS GOD.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno