No Painting Competition for 2017?

Started by Obsidian23, 19 September 2017, 10:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obsidian23

When is the next Painting competition being planned?  Not planning anymore???

Leon

19 September 2017, 03:21:25 PM #1 Last Edit: 19 September 2017, 03:37:24 PM by Leon
The next one will be during February 2018, we'll start planning it later this year.  We might tweak it a little as it's getting harder to find prizes for all the categories but we'll have a look and see what we can do.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

Might enter a Schleswig or Hanoverian unit, but as I am painting for the table, don't hold your breath. Perhaps there should be a war-games standard category. I hate the way auto carrot always puts a hyphen between war and games, even though wargames has been written this way since at least the early 60s. In fact I had never seen war-games written this way until I accidentally triggered auto carrot and now haven't the faintest how to get rid of it.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ace of Spades

Hmmm... maybe I should hold back the pictures of my French and Indian War figures till february then... :-

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Peter and I were discussing an 'informal paint-off', maybe we could extend it with three or themes. No prizes, except the adulation of our peers?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Obsidian23

Nothing wrong with a little adult adulation! ;)

petercooman

Quote from: mad lemmey on 20 September 2017, 09:07:58 AM
Peter and I were discussing an 'informal paint-off', maybe we could extend it with three or themes. No prizes, except the adulation of our peers?

Great idea!

Ace of Spades

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Hi chaps,
I don't mind organising and running an informal 'paint off' on the forum.
What categories should we have?
My suggestions:
Best wargaming army
Best vignette/diorama
Best oddball (weird and wonderful category)
Best mounted (pre renaissance)
Best mounted (Renaissance to 18th Century)
Best mounted (19th century or later)
Best infantry (pre renaissance)
Best infantry (renaissance to 18th Century)
Best infantry (19th Century)
Best infantry (20th-21st Century)
Best artillery
Best Warband base
Best Warband army
Best 'I have no idea what category this goes in'
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

How about "No idea what it's meant to be ..."

I could enter that many times.

(As that Bishop etc)

Couldn't we just have "Best Mounted" rather than breaking it down by periods? Also ... "best vehicle" and "Best vehicle starting with a 'C' mounting a gun of 17pdr or larger"?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

I understand the breaking down in 'colorfull' and 'less colorfull' mounted/foot etc. but if the judges emphasise on painting quality instead of 'looks' there shouldn't be a problem I guess?

Cheers,
Rob

fsn

And you can't judge a period by it's colour. *Steps into massive mantrap*

For example, I would opine that painting Ancient Egyptian infantry in white kilts, brown skin, black hair is not as tricky as painting modern camouflage which is really difficult to get to look right.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Especially as Pendraken don't do Egyptians!