Purchasing BBB rule set

Started by Raven Looney, 17 September 2017, 09:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Looney

Hi,

I am relatively new to the world of 10mm and am interested in a decent set of napoleonic rules. I had heard good things about the BBB rule set however i am struggling to find a copy in the UK. Does anyone know where i can get my hands on a copy or of any other rules sets? I have got my hands on a copy of black powder but i was hoping for something with a bit more guidance on army lists.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Chris Pringle

d_Guy

And welcome to the forum and 10mm as well, Raven (or is it Mr. Looney?)
Sleep with clean hands ...

mollinary

Hi RL,

BBB is a very good set of rules, but it is actually designed for a period (1850-1890)  later than the Napoleonic Wars, which enthusiasts have pushed back into history. This means that if you are looking for army lists for the Napoleonic period you need to start elsewhere.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Steve J

Welcome on board. The rules are superb, but I haven't tried them for Napoleonics yet. Not my period of interest really.

fsn

What ho, Mr Looney.

I think from your alias you'll fit in welll here.

Can't recommend any rules - I write my own, and as for OOBs I use historial ones. May not be "balanced" but at least they're representative.

Except for the fact that I've eschewed Higlanders on the grounds that I have no wish to paint 10mm tartan.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Fenton

18 September 2017, 08:01:27 AM #6 Last Edit: 18 September 2017, 08:03:03 AM by Fenton
Although not played them I have heard good things about BBB.
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ace of Spades

Welcome!
We play Napoleonics in 20mm up to now with some free rules from the Internet: 'Brigades and Batteries'. Easy and fast playing although we have made some smaller adaptations here and there to make things somewhat more historical. The system in all is certainly adequate.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Arternoon. Our lot use Black powder. Scale depends on who is playing, I have 6 an 15mm, Will MacNally has 20mm, and there are lots of 28mm plastics.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

toxicpixie

Seconded for Blucher! Great set of rules with a brill pre-game sequence that produces assymetical period feeling Battles quickly :)

BBB is very good too but aimed at late c19th as others have said - but the couple of batrep of the Nappies version sounded good too.

FSN - tartan in 10mm? Tbh for the kilts a solid green etc works; although some people have shown superb tiny tatan paintings here for gaming purposes I've found a solid base colour actually works as well ;) Maybe the white lines, if you're feeling really hung ho!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I painted over 1000 Picts with tartan, just paint base colour, and vertical and horizontal lines!
Easy :)
:-B @-) X_X 8-}
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

If you really want to use BBB for Napoleonic then you need to sign up to the Yahoo Group for BBB. Currently there is discussion on there about Marengo and previously there has been discussion about Waterloo. The files include rule amendments  and scenarios for Waterloo, Jena-Auerstadt and Leipzig, which include the list of units for those battles. Although not my cup of tea the Napoleonic period is developing a following within the BBB community and it does allow for the likes of Waterloo to be played on a 6'x4' table to a conclusion in a single wargaming session.

BBB was originally conceived as a later C19th set of rules mainly for refighting historical scenarios. However it now caters for pre-1850 conflicts, such as the Polish uprising in the 1830s and the wars of the period of the 1848 revolutions, which were generally still using Napoleonic weaponry and tactics.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raven Looney

Hi folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the great help! I will certainly also have a look at Blucher and Brigades and Batteries.

I think worrying about the tartan pattern is a bit beyond me at the minute, as long as people recognise them as human I'm satisfied at the minute!!