Baroque Test Game

Started by pierre the shy, 16 September 2017, 09:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

We kicked off our Baroque "test game" with our wider gaming group last night - Parliament vs Royalists

A very fun-filled evening with a bit of schoolboy humour coming out (VD ratings etc  ;)) but must be judged as being very successful overall.

So far only the two cavalry wings have engaged, with the big Pike scrum to come next week - hopefully the Royalists are wearing their black livery.

On the right my Royalist Trotters have been doing reasonably well against those of the rebels, but on the left the much maligned Parliamentary RE have been more than holding their own against the dashing royalist gallopers  :o

Two of our generals have increased stature due to double 6 throws, while one rebel general managed to be demoted to poor by throwing snake eyes.

Overall its a real hoot - can see this project progressing to using figures  :)

Top tip of the night - definitely using dice holders for the VBU dice if we do decide to use figures.     

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

I should have spotted this thread before I posted this http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16354.msg242229.html#msg242229 ;)

They are massed Reiters which has helped (2 more dice in melee) and one of your units fighting two of mine was also helpful ;)

An order is looking more and more likely :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Glad you enjoyed it. I picked up a French and Allied LoA army from Leon and Dave for use with these rules. Probably going down the Imagi-Nation route just so that I can choose uniforms and standards that I like for the units. Ditto the names of the regiments etc.

Zippee

Quote from: paulr on 16 September 2017, 10:18:54 PM
I should have spotted this thread before I posted this http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,16354.msg242229.html#msg242229 ;)

They are massed Reiters which has helped (2 more dice in melee) and one of your units fighting two of mine was also helpful ;)

An order is looking more and more likely :)

Ah, assuming this is the same test game I answered on the "other" thread, then that would explain why the RE eventually held and absorbed the GA - they're RE(M)!  :D

d_Guy

I'll support TWO threads on ECW/Baroque!  :D
Glad you are enjoying the rules.
I am not a fan of RE's particularly massed. I uses TR in their place. But I play solo, therefore no one to convince but myself.  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

It is the same test game and the extra 2 melee dice for being massed were very useful ;) #:-S

pierre the shy

We had our second concluding, session of this game last night. 

We all agreed afterwards that Baroque was a very workable set of rules, with somewhat random outcomes based on the discipline test rolls.

Back to the Solomons next week then another Baroque game, this time north of the border based on the bases I produced for our first Inverlochy game, though I might add some cavalry to both sides to see how lancers and massed highlanders work.....Montrose's campaigns in 1644-5 have always interested me.

For the record the Royalist cavalry eventually triumphed on both wings, (Exhausted RE don't count their MM which helps) and the Parliamentary centre was obliged to withdraw as the army neared its break point.  As Mel Brooks says "It's good to be the king" , well sometimes anyway ;)   

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Definitely another enjoyable session with a lot of joking and ribbing over various outcomes :) :)

We normally pause about half way through for a coffee/tea break and for the second week in a row we realised we had had played well past that :)

The guys are keen to play another game before committing to the rules, to make sure it isn't just "the novelty factor"

It will be interesting to see how things go north of the border