When did wargamers start to...

Started by Aksu, 22 September 2017, 08:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

I am starting to use Mike Salweys homemade bastex method which is sand ( builders sand which has been cooked to remove fungi etc),PVA and brown paint. I like it as you can create a thin enough mix to almost flw round the smaller bases that 6 and 10mm figures tend to have
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

John Cook

Early 90s I think, when I had an extension built and a bag of ready-mix cement was left by the builder.  I use PVA glue and dip the stands in the ready-mix cement.  It is wet enough to make the cement cure.   

paulr

And we thought we had it tough when rebasing :o
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Broke my scalpel last night whilst rebasing - and that was only Vallejo pumice paste.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Leman on 28 September 2017, 08:58:04 AM
Broke my scalpel last night whilst rebasing - and that was only Vallejo pumice paste.

We should start assigning aboriginal American-style names to members here. Broken Scalpel isn't a bad one to start with. We could add Drills Own Finger, Hates Southerners, Won't use little houses, Coat in the Teeth....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Man-who-fights-woman
Glued-face-to-palm
Dabbles-with-hexes
Stuck-in-tanks
Bent-arm-off
Runs-with-brushes

I gave Leon the dream quest name, Owl-who-never-sleeps some time ago
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Raider4

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 September 2017, 11:32:32 AM
We should start assigning aboriginal American-style names to members here. Broken Scalpel isn't a bad one to start with.

Or, code words as per the US military. If Broken Arrow is a lost nuke, what could Broken Scalpel possibly mean . . . ?

Or Bent Spear, Chipped Paint and Wobbly Base?

Leman

Broken scalpel - him who press too hard
Bent Spear - him who uses not for intended purpose
Chipped paint - she who put make-up on in train
Wobbly base - man who play with toy soldiers who eat and drink much of tribes supplies.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

I think I'd have to be "Does much, achieves little" ... sorry GENERAL Does Much, Achieve Little.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 28 September 2017, 05:20:14 PM
Wobbly base - man who play with toy soldiers who eat and drink much of tribes supplies.

Yes, when in America last week, I was warned about him by their Chief Brewer, Dances With Drunks .......   =)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

John Cook

Quote from: paulr on 28 September 2017, 08:01:06 AM
And we thought we had it tough when rebasing :o

Rebasing?  Why would you want to?  Get it right first time :D

Unfortunately we all occasionally buy other peoples figures which are based wrong. Or the other thing is that the bloody rules writers change the base sizes......QED

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Raider4

Quote from: ianrs54 on 14 October 2017, 08:51:26 AM
Or the other thing is that the bloody rules writers change the base sizes......QED

Or, more likely, we base for one game, play a bit, then move on to another ruleset. And then another. And them another. And somewhere along this chain we find that the current game works better with a different base size. And then we re-base.

And then there's a flurry of nostalgia and the original game we started with all those years ago comes back into fashion . . .

Cheers, M.
--