Painting question

Started by G-wiz, 09 September 2017, 06:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-wiz

Hi,
I've recently bought a painted barbarian army on evilbay, but the paints are all chipped, average job and don't look to have been undercoated/primed. I was going paint them again but i'm not sure it there will be too much paint on the figures that would obscure detail. Was thinking Warmaster Barbarian Flesh primer/wash/highlights and detail so not too much extra paint. How much is too much paint?
Also, half seemed to have fallen on the bases which weren't great and also the wrong size.

Norm

1. if not sold as advertised return them for refund

2. if just generally don't like them enough to do all the work that is needed .... re-eBay them, probably at a loss, get them out of your life ... worth it.

3. If you want to keep them and don't think they are primed, I would be reluctant to put more work into something that does not have a good foundation. If you really like the figures, it may be worth getting them off the bases, and stripping the paint off and starting again.

4. easy quick hit, just touch up and give two light coats of varnish and live with the base size (sabot maybe).

if you are just going to prime spray, make sure the primer does not have a 'filler' as this will reduce your detail. If you mostly just hit the highlights with your repaint, I don't think you will lose much further detail.

Ace of Spades

I would suggest stripping them of their bases; leave them in a jar of thinner for a while; clean 'em up and paint/base them all over.
If you're anything like me you will always be sorry for not taking the time to do it right every time you see them...

Good luck!
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

G-wiz

Think I'll take your advice and strip them, do it properly. What would be the best paint stripper to use? Will any do or is a specific brand better that the others.

Ithoriel

I use nail varnish remover but others use a pine floor cleaner (IIRC). I'm sure someone who uses the latter will be along shortly to say more about it.

Both would damage plastic figures and might remove the bases.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Heedless Horseman

Dettol did a good job on some 1/285 metal microarmour heavily coated with old enamel paint. Soak overnight and lightly scrub with an OLD   ;)  toothbrush. Repeat if needed and pick stuff from recesses with a pin.
Some of the paint strippers can be evil stuff...Dettol can go down the sink but some precautions for hands, eyes, lungs would be an idea.
Note that most solvents will also dissolve glue or plastic so shields/spears/gun barrels etc. will probably come off in the process, so a strainer and sink plug may be useful.
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ace of Spades

Dettol works excellent even on plastic figures; you can leave 'em in it for months, no problem. For metal figures I always use standard thinner; put it in a jar and leave 'em soaking for a few nights; virtually all sorts of paint will come of easily and it is safer as paintstripper.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 10 September 2017, 09:50:45 PM
Dettol works excellent even on plastic figures; you can leave 'em in it for months

Nice to know...haven't needed to try stripping plastic. First stuff I used on 1/285 metal was 'Pinosol' or something like that. THAT was vicious! You could almost watch the old enamel paint curling off in the jar...but just did not like the thought of any med effects, (and cost)...Dettol kinder...'ish...and, seeing as the can of stripper had decided to evaporate by next use, will stick to Dettol.

Back to original post...if figs are Pendraken, think overpainting might be fine...unless very thick coat. Highlighting could work otherwise...and, if not...buy some more for front line and use old figs to bulk out!   :d

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Nitromores, strips everything!
Dishwasher also works...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

G-wiz

Just found some tetriol paint stripper so i'll test it out on a couple of broken barbarians. There were some other interesting figures in the warband that didn't originally come with the set, once i've got it finished i'll post up some pictures.

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: mad lemmey on 11 September 2017, 07:59:20 AM
Nitromores, strips everything!
Dishwasher also works...

Ah! That was the first, vicious, stuff, NOT Pinusol...whatever that is. Thanks. Memory getting leaky.   :(

fred.

Yeah, Nitromors is nasty stuff. Effective but nasty, its not normally needed to remove hobby paint.

Most of the Pine based stuff is effective, and much nicer to work with, though can be a bit overpowering on the pine aroma!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Tarty

Never tried Dettol before....that's a new one for me.
"I can see the carrot at the end of the tunnel..."
2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

FierceKitty

It's a mild acid. Makes sense.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.