Concrete Sherman

Started by SV52, 10 September 2017, 10:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Don't think I've seen this before:

After a little rooting around I found that using concrete as additional armour was not that rare, neither was wood.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

I've seen the picture somewhere before. IIRC the practise was frowned upon as it overloaded the suspension, certainly on the earlier model Shermans. Wooden planking was used in the Pacific, and wire meshing in places against grenades, again IIRC. Both types of additional armour would make for cool looking models, but these days I don't have the inclination to do this.

SV52

It's a strange idea with plenty of disadvantages but the guys on the ground obviously approved.  Best photo I saw was of British tankers applying concrete to their tank using trowels, a bit like facing a wall.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Roy

that's an interesting rooftop in the background. wonder if its an actual building, or merely a folly?
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

cameronian

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 10 September 2017, 02:47:18 PM
that's an interesting rooftop in the background. wonder if its an actual building, or merely a folly?

Looks like a church tower from southern Germany/Austria.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Roy

cheers.

I just googled church towers bavaria and saw similar, as you said. never really looked at the architecture of that area, so i thinking the roof in the photo was 'eastern' inspired for such as a folly.   
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Wulf

That's a sad looking Sherman, reminds me of the overloaded donkeys you see around the Med & Middle East...

pierre the shy

Quote from: cameronian on 10 September 2017, 03:03:35 PM
Looks like a church tower from southern Germany/Austria.

I'd agree with that Cameronian.

From the markings on the barrel of the 76mm gun tank #17 belongs to Company B, 25th Tank Battalion of the US 14th Armored Division. According to Osprey's Battle Orders 003 US Armored Divisions ETO 1944-45  the 14th Armored fought in Southern Germany in March - April 1945.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

FierceKitty

Many like that in the former Czechoslovakian lands too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ace of Spades

Concrete armour in Europe was mainly used to counter the effects of hollow shaped charges like the Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck rockets. Against AT-rounds the effect was minimal at best.
In the Pacific an array of 'add-on' armour was used but most was 'invented' to counter magnetic mines and the Japanese 'lunge mines' on the ends of poles. Japanese tank or AT only got effective rather late in the war.
Planks were added to the suspension so the Japanese could not easily reach the lower hull between the suspension. Top hull sides were protected by thinner layers of concrete covered on the outside with wood planking; both against magnetic- and lunge mines. The front of the hull was normally given some extra track links but usually the ball mounted .30 cal. would be enough to deter Japanese AT-teams. All 'weak' points on the top like periscopes, hatches and hinges would either be protected by mesh cages or nails welded onto or around  them. This would both make for less grip for a magnetic mine and would also create some extra space between the armour and the charge. Fuel tanks were often covered on top by sandbags. All in all not really making your tank full proof against Infantry AT-weapons but enough to give you some extra time for your platoon mates to hose the enemy off with the co-ax or give you just that little bit extra to survive...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!