Warband world fluff?

Started by ErHo, 31 August 2017, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

In my day "fantasy" meant pitting Ancient Egyptians against Imperial Romans.

We shouldn't ignore the role of "hero" in historical. Think the Illiad with it's cast of heroes and lots of other blokes there as spear-fodder; the Sagas of the Norsemen and the early heroic Samurai.

I'm sure the concept of "hero" is a primirive one, when the leader was the chap who was bestest at fighting, 'cos if he wasn't someone else would become leader. Naturally enough, come wartime*, you'd expect your biggest, baddest warrior to take centre stage, and if he fell ... well oops!

*four seasons of Ancients: plant, war, reap, try not to die of the cold or hunger. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

We have discussed at various times that all wargaming is fantasy with historic (prehaps) differing only in having a few more constraints in the backstory. I like that newer rules in all genre seem to be adding the hero or "big man" concept.

Incidently, I originally took up wargaming to impress girls.

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

Quote from: d_Guy on 11 October 2017, 02:49:31 PM

How's that working out for you? ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

ErHo

Quote from: d_Guy on 11 October 2017, 02:49:31 PM
We have discussed at various times that all wargaming is fantasy with historic (prehaps) differing only in having a few more constraints in the backstory. I like that newer rules in all genre seem to be adding the hero or "big man" concept.

"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

;D just so.

When I meet my future wife in college I had gained sufficient life experience to (initially) hid the fact from her.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

ErHo

I remember my first attempt at showing off some deftly painted Space Marines to a girl, one glance at them I knew to abort the mission and quickly change the topic.

15 years later, by the time I showed them to the gal that eventually became my wife, I had a display case which included the same minis from the first(a definate 'long-game' payoff)

I was bolder, and more prepared to fly that freak flag... The awesome case lighting probably helped!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer