Warband world fluff?

Started by ErHo, 31 August 2017, 07:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

:-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd :-bd

I hope we get some sort of recognition in the 2nd ed. of the rules for all of this  ;)

Calling the place Tenmil is brilliant!
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Excellent!
Like the inclusion of Hugh Elves and Duckmen!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

paulr

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Laughing out loud gets you odd looks on a train :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

Quote from: FierceKitty on 01 September 2017, 02:36:18 PM
In most mythology, before Tolkien hijacked it, elves steal babies, cause trouble at home, mislead travellers, and cast glamour over mortals, usually to enslave or r*pe them. The main difference from vampires seems to me that the latter are generally solitary and joyless types (again, before they got Cruised and Pitted), while elves are often quite organised.

.... rope them?

(.... and then what?)  :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

Ask the Ministry of Truth, who seem to have programmed a censor into the system.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Moggy1000

Don't want to be seen to revive an old thread, but, this is an idea I have been contemplating... Writing a few short stories about the armies and their homelands... Possibly leading upto to how we see the figures today. But my concern is how would you create a main character without having "hero" figurines? Or main characters atleast. This is why I made a thread about potential hero characters and miniatures...

Ithoriel

Surely your "main character" is your army's general.

As ML said, the Hero Special Ability (p10) allows you to field lesser heroes as part of a unit - possibly the hero and his personal retinue. Thorin and his dwarven band or Achilles and the Myrmidons, for example.

Adding other Special Abilities to the unit would allow you to model some other powers or abilities a hero has, if required.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Moggy1000

You're aware how many lesser generals Malekith and The Pheonix King had? I wouldn't consider a general to be a "hero" was talking about unique heroes...

Ithoriel

Given the size of Warband armies each of those lesser generals would command a group of Warband sized armies many of which would be lead by one of the unique heroes.

Frankly the plethora of GW heroes is more about marketing than storytelling. It's why I moved from Warhammer to Warmaster.

Heroes in literature and folklore are generally up there with hen's teeth and rocking horse excrement in terms of rarity.

For me, heroes are definitely in the "less is more" category.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Moggy1000

I'm talking maybe 1/2 heroes each army... Not around 10

Moggy1000

Just my opinion... But many people getting wargaming for many reasons, be it lore, gaming, modelling, collecting or just because a group of friends thought it would be cool...

I've been contemplating the idea for.many years, 26 years old. Had my first experience with 40k at around 8, when one of my evening carers (dad at work, single parent family) used to bring his stuff around and we'd sit and I'd just watch him build and paint...
Now move on a few years, into secondary school, I joined a wargaming club, but focused on WWII wargaming... But the problem was it never grabbed me, I enjoyed playing but I always new the backstory and results... It sucked...

Fast forward to 2012... I picked up 3 rather large books, by Games Workshop, One being "The Sundering" which stood out by far... It was then that I was really grabbed by wargaming, the Character (hero-ish) Malekith... Such a dark tale of friendship, betrayal and murder... Such a deep plot... But it wasn't until this year only a few weeks ago that I actually took a plunge into any type of wargaming... I chose pendraken... Which shows such great potential and is an amazing product.

And with the AoS essentially renovating WFB there is a massive open gap for those wanting big army fantasy battles... And at 10mm the possibility is endless... Some.of like the lore, some of us like the game... But to me, it will be that journey I took with the character... What's wrong with creating something similar for this? If anything it is a much better scale in which to do it... Imagine massive battles with a dragon legion, 100's of foot soldiers, cavalry, artillery...

With the lore so much more could be created... Just 1 book could be enough to bring Warband to a whole new level!!!!

Ithoriel

A generational thing maybe?

I started wargaming in my early teens, in the 1960s, and my introduction to fantasy wargames, in the form of "Chainmail" and "World of Greyhawk" was still decades away.

We devised our own scenarios for games and fought vaguely historical match ups.

Rulebooks were regularly in the form of purple inked, Roneod foolscap sheets to begin with.

Having been used to DIY gaming from the start I've never had much truck with companies attempts to spoon feed me their versions of imaginary worlds.

Rightly or wrongly, I've always held that the fantasy worlds I've come up with have been better than anything GW ever produced and even when playing with GW figures using GW rules we rarely stuck to the background "fluff."

I still prefer Warmaster to Warband but I've played a few games of the latter now and have never had a problem fielding an army that fitted the concept I had ... and I've never used one of the official Warband armies either ... don't tell Leon! :)