Hello! New to 10mm from NE London

Started by MAgamer, 29 August 2017, 05:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: MAgamer on 29 August 2017, 06:57:15 PM
What is your particular hobby project at the moment?
Ah!  

Active projects ...
1:600 aircraft - Pacific War 1942 & 1944, Over Germany 1944, Arab-Isreali 1973 and Viet NAm 1968.
1:600 ships - Mosquito War, 1943
1:3000 ships - Med, 1940
10mm - Napoleoic Prussians, Brit/Allied and French 1815 (long term project - haven't finished buyingthe kit and am too scared to paint it)
10mm - Spanish-American War 1898
10mm - Pacific War 1944

Inactive projects  (i.e. part way there)
ACW, 100yw, Dark Age, Greek vs Rome vs Carthage somewhere in Sicily, Marlborough, Polish 1939, Anglo-Scots 1314 (we won)

Done (or nearly done, then Pendraken bring out something else I HAVE to buy)
Russian 1941
German 1940 & 1944 (incl paras)
British 1940, 1943 and 1944 (incl paras)
US 19... doesn't matter all the same kit WWII (incl paras)
French 1940
Zombies
Some kind of space ships that I bought on a whim ... well becauise I'd been watching Blake's 7.
Stephen vs Matilda
Imagi-Nation 1920 Brits vs French Foreign Legion
Imagi-Nation 1959, Brits vs French vs Russian backed insurgents

Waiting for Pendraken to get their finger out
Korea 1950-1952

I am cursed with a butterfly interest that flits from one thing to another, and I find it very difficult to maintain enthusiasm for one project enough to get it finished.  :(

However, I do like Centurion tanks. In fact, the news about the Great Partition has piqued my interest in the Indian-Pakistan War - which has derailed my brief enthusiam for WWI Mespot figures. Now if only that the Turks had tanks ...

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Welcome :-h

Very nice work on those Brits  :-bd =D> :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

Another hello from me just over the river in Kent. Those British chaps are rather nice although I'm not too confident they can outrun that huge dust cloud bearing down on them. :)
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Welcome to the delights that are the Pendraken forum

Orcs
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Welcome to the forum and scale of all scales. Great looking figures you posted up.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sandinista

Hi and welcome, I used to be E9

cheers
Ian

MAgamer

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The "dust cloud" is technically giant snowballs! My missus is a primary school teacher and Antarctica is one of the topics for the coming year- she has made hundreds of the things to hang in the Cold Corner of class. I think that this has been the first time I have posted pics of my minis anywhere so thank you for the encouragement and compliments- it won't win prizes but still, 10mmPendraken  seem to paint up really nicely, I can't imagine painting a Battalion of 28's over a weekend never mind two! At the moment the scale seems to have all the joy and none of the frustration of the larger ones. . . I can't wait to see a full Brigade/Division all together. Anyway cheers to everyone for the hellos and I will see you elsewhere on the forum!

P.s give a shout if you have played General D'Armee? Not bought the rules yet (two sides of the conflict to paint first!) but would love to hear about any 10mm related experience with those rules.

All the best
MA

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Zippee

30 August 2017, 11:50:11 AM #24 Last Edit: 30 August 2017, 11:57:26 AM by Zippee
Quote from: MAgamer on 29 August 2017, 07:49:01 PM
Hi Zipee!
I'm E11, love your French, what system do you game? You lost me with BB code, I have been using the mobile app- is it easier to find via Flickr website? Cheers for the help!
MA

Hi MA,

I was using my laptop to access Flickr which works as below:

When you look at a picture on the screen there are a number of icons in the bottom right corner, a couple of squares (file & edit), a big arrow (share), a downwards arrow (download) and twin arrows (spread) - click (or jab with a finger) on the share arrow and a box opens with 4 options on the top - select BBCode, it will show a web address underneath and below that a size (so you can change how big the picture looks in the forum page), copy the web address and paste it to the forum - some Austrians as an example:
Austrian Hussars 1809 - 4th Hessen Homburg Regiment 03 by Zippee Jerred, on Flickr

I've had a fiddle with the mobile app and it looks like all you can do is copy the direct link, I can't find a share icon on the mobile app, looks like Tumbler, Facebook and Twitter are the only share options.  :'(

I game a heap of stuff, for Napoleonics that would be Lasalle, Le Feu Sacre or Blucher - I have played Grande Armee a fair bit in the past but consider Blucher has now replaced it. I have a decent 1809 collection in 10mm and a larger more diverse 6mm collection. My Sharp Practice collection is virtually non-existent for Napoleonics sadly.

Otherwise I have sizeable 15mm WWII collections for IABSM - BA - COC (name a rule-set really), larger forces in different theatres in 6mm. again primarily for IABSM. I also have a huge 15mm Ancients collection for Impetus, as well as collections in 10mm ECW for Baroque, 10mm SYW/FIW for Maurice/Blackpowder, 6mm ECW for Polemos, 10mm WWI Mespot for ITLSU, huge 1/3000 WWII fleets for naval GQIII, smaller for WWI and Pre-dread, decent sized 1/600 air forces for WWII BTH or GQIII support, 15mm Sci-Fi for Quadrant 13 and some IHMN 28mm sets. Big fantasy armies in 28mm / 15mm and lots of RPG style figures in 28mm for stuff like SoBH, all in a dedicated games room with two 6x4 tables. Much of which you can see here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zippee/sets/

If you fancy a sidetrip to sunny East London, drop me a line and we'll see what we can arrange. We game Thursday evenings but that's mostly RPG (Star Wars wrapping up tomorrow, then back to the D&D in September). Wargames tend to be ad hoc weeknights and weekends - it's so frustrating when your mates have retired and you still have to work  >:(

As to projects, well let's see:
My Halo fleets need to be painted (guess they're not getting any bigger anytime soon now Spartan have folded)
My Dropzone box set needs to be begun (10mm) - it was a gift but the rules look very meh, so it's getting no love despite the nice models
My Age of Sail ships and galleys need finishing (1/1200)
My WWII French and Japanese aircraft need finishing (1/600)
My 1809 Bavarians and Saxons, 1805 French, Prussians and Austrians need finishing (6mm) - largely overtaken by my 10mm now, so languishing a bit
My ACW armies need to be started (6mm) - a club project that fizzled, I'll get to them at some point
My 1809 Bavarians need finishing (10mm)
My Fantasy orcs and whatnot need rebasing (15mm)
My Ancients Successor expansion kickstarter splurge needs finishing (15mm) - 24 elephants and about 500 phalangites, plus auxiliaries, it's a bit daunting!
My Fantasy RPG stuff is undergoing a refresh and expansion (28mm)
My wife's LotR collection needs me to take over and complete  - huge painting queue, I'll be dead before the 6 mumakil see a lick of paint! (28mm)
My Donnybrook / Sharp Practice / pirates & smugglers need finishing (28mm)

I'm managing to avoid too many new temptations though  :D

MAgamer

Thanks for the tutorial Zipee, really helpful!
Sounds like you've really tried a good few systems- I have a copy of Lassalle somewhere in the cupboard along with March Attack (read both but never played). Blucher sounds and looks great but I have never had an interest in one stand = a Brigade. Thanks for the invite too! I would certainly enjoy meeting up at some point although it's going to be a little while until work quiets down enough for me to reliably schedule anything. Maybe if I brought along a couple of Sharp Practice forces, we could run a game for each other? I would be intrigued to see how Blucher works and something completley different would be really interesting. Anyway, I would be glad to have a game of whatever you fancy really. I'll keep in touch via the forum and let you know when I have a little more free time!
All the best
MA

Zippee

No worries,

Hah! those aren't the ones I've tried, they're the ones I have a half way chance of remembering  :D

Lasalle, works smart and neat but can feel a bit more game than sim. March Attack I looked at and discarded, seemed too simplistic for my tastes. Blucher is very elegant - and the cards option make it very transportable. Err you do realise that Grand Armee is also 1 stand=1 brigade, Blucher is essentially the replacement for Grande Armee, they are different but play at the same scale. Basically I use Sharp for Battalion level actions, Lasalle for division level, LFS for Corps level and Blucher for multi-corps (army).

No problem, just give me a shout out on the forum and we'll see what we can put together

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

MAgamer

Hi Again Zipee- I am looking toward General D'Armee from Riesswitz Press (from Dan Brown/Too Fat Lardies) not Grand Armee😀 I would love a chance to play Blucher regardless though! I will certainly be in touch, just finished a shift- can't wait for the chance to wargame something new
Cheers again
MA

Zippee

Ah my error. Didn't read just scanned.

Not looked at those - know Dave (not Dan) and his club is round gave cor st but gen d'brigade never floated my boat and I didn't see anything that envisaged me about gen d'armee.

Happy to give them a whirl though