Current Climate of Wargaming?

Started by Leon, 26 August 2017, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Quote from: pierre the shy on 30 August 2017, 10:49:08 PM
My other point is that we play multiple periods, each with its own ruleset, yet the market seems to always apparently to have room for more. Surely there must be a limit and there is sure to be some comings and goings of traders over time for various reasons? How many different rulesets does one really need?

Ah! But you forget that we need 3 rulesets for every period! Skirmish, company and division!

I agree. The hobby seems to be getting wider and thinner.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

toxicpixie

Phone posting at bath time :D

Ironically I did manage to correct "/army level" but missed the front bit of total incomprehensible gibberish!

"You forgot operational/army level" if that helps ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

toxicpixie

They're the manoeuvre element of the operational level game ;)

fsn

Gentlemen, like an expert needle sharpener, you're making my point for me. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Surely they just enhance the point?

For *making* it you need a needle maker!

On the topic, you can go very deep if you want - either into fiction based games with established backgrounds (W40k etc), or into historical games where you dig deeeeeep into the period for a long time (recent 1866 Wargaming in History springs to mind, well done chaps! Or Bruce Weigle around the similar period)  or even your own imaginations.

OR with the huge breadth you can scream around periods and systems and scales like a loon, leaving a trail of half finished projects and only mildly creased rule sets behind you :)

I celebrate both - a hobby that can be either is a pretty neat thing!

Leman

Quote from: toxicpixie on 20 September 2017, 12:01:55 AM
They're the manoeuvre element of the operational level game ;)
You can tell where my interest lies - not in military organisation or theory. Get em on the table, have a scrap and lose.

Leon

Looks like another company might be shutting it's doors, Forlorn Hope have posted on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ForlornHopeGames/
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

toxicpixie

Dang, that's a shame :/

Sounds like it's a going concern, just too much work on stuff he doesn't want to do? Shame, I'd just had some excellent samurai dwarves from them!

Leman

Another company I've never heard of, probably because it does faeries and the like.

Leon

They do some French Indian War stuff and some Chinese I think?  Nice sculpts as well.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!