Current Climate of Wargaming?

Started by Leon, 26 August 2017, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider4

Quote from: Sunray on 29 August 2017, 02:59:36 PM
. . . We are fairly immune from  fashion or "must have". . .

Heh! You may be, others are not so fortunate. I have boxes of stuff that I bought because I absolutely must have them, there and then. Odd things I'll likely never use for anything, but I had to buy them at the time because "bright idea". Usually I've moved on to the next thing before they've even arrived.

Cheers, Martyn
--
* Currently fighting the urge to order Shermans, M3 half-tracks, Jeeps and Tigers because I watched Kelly's Heroes on Monday. Luckily I can't decide on either 6mm or (plastic) 15mm, so the urge will probably pass before I spend any actual money . . .

Sunray

30 August 2017, 04:42:51 PM #61 Last Edit: 30 August 2017, 04:48:00 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Raider4 on 30 August 2017, 03:53:35 PM
Heh! You may be, others are not so fortunate. I have boxes of stuff that I bought because I absolutely must have them, there and then. Odd things I'll likely never use for anything, but I had to buy them at the time because "bright idea". Usually I've moved on to the next thing before they've even arrived.

Cheers, Martyn
--
* Currently fighting the urge to order Shermans, M3 half-tracks, Jeeps and Tigers because I watched Kelly's Heroes on Monday. Luckily I can't decide on either 6mm or (plastic) 15mm, so the urge will probably pass before I spend any actual money . . .

I think we have all been there. I recently flirted with 3mm, due to a give a way 1/600 Ark Royal at a charity shop !   But the investment tends to be penny packet in relation to other leisure hobbies. And 10mm does resell .  Stick it on ebay or the forum.  X_X X_X :!!

The new South Korean  & US sculpts will give some "character" to Kelly, Oddball et al .   And in a decent scale.   I have a scenario game somewhere called "bootiful bridge" based on the movie !

Raider4

Quote from: Raider4 on 30 August 2017, 03:53:35 PM
Currently fighting the urge to order Shermans, M3 half-tracks, Jeeps and Tigers because I watched Kelly's Heroes on Monday. Luckily I can't decide on either 6mm or (plastic) 15mm, so the urge will probably pass before I spend any actual money . . .

And of course, typing the above made me remember that I already have some 6mm US WW2 stuff (for a Hollywood 50's B-movie 'National Guard vs the flying saucers/irradiated insects' type of game, using the Epic: Armageddon rules if I remember correctly), and included in there are M3 half-tracks and Jeeps. Shermans also, but they're all M4A3E8s - no good for Oddball's platoon, but 1 could become 'Fury' . . .

Aaaah, so many started projects, so few actually get anywhere.

Cheers, Martyn
--

pierre the shy

Good Morning

A lot of very good points have already been made in this thread but can I add a couple of points from an NZ perspective? Gaming in NZ appears to generallly mirror trends that are happening in other parts of the world.

The main thing gaming in NZ relies almost totally on sourcing figures/rules etc from overseas, in most cases from the US or UK. I have dealt with many traders over the years and I might have been "lucky" but I've never had a really bad experience with any of them.  In fact the customer service levels that some go to (I unashamedly include Leon and the PM crew here) ensure an order is filled is incredible.

I have never been able to attend a major UK or US show but have spoken to Kiwi gamers who have. They say having 20 or 30 traders in one place makes it very easy to spend lots on stuff because it looks shiny/tempting etc.  ;) Maybe a little bit envious here as most NZ conventions are lucky to have a couple of traders, though I have picked ups some good bargins from the bring and buy table. Sold a fair bit of excess stuff that way too.

My other point is that we play multiple periods, each with its own ruleset, yet the market seems to always apparently to have room for more. Surely there must be a limit and there is sure to be some comings and goings of traders over time for various reasons? How many different rulesets does one really need?

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Orcs

The problem we find with playing multiple rule sets is the tendency to transpose  rules from one rule set to another.  Today I played a BKC2 game at Sunjesters with Albie Bach and another friend Henry.  On one occasion I tried to apply the collateral damage rule from Peter Pigs AK47 rule and another time Henry applied the Breakpoint rule from Flames of war.  In both instances we had to look it up as none of us were sure it was not part of BKC2.

We are getting old but It does happen frequently
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

petercooman

Quote from: Orcs on 30 August 2017, 11:11:32 PM
The problem we find with playing multiple rule sets is the tendency to transpose  rules from one rule set to another.  Today I played a BKC2 game at Sunjesters with Albie Bach and another friend Henry.  On one occasion I tried to apply the collateral damage rule from Peter Pigs AK47 rule and another time Henry applied the Breakpoint rule from Flames of war.  In both instances we had to look it up as none of us were sure it was not part of BKC2.

We are getting old but It does happen frequently

Nothing to do with old, but the amount of rules you use. I have the same problem sometimes. A shelf full of wargame rules will give you that.

Yes i'm only admitting to one shelf, you never know who reads these posts  8-} 8-} 8-}

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 29 August 2017, 07:59:43 PM
Yes, it's been a long day. 

Hope what ever caused your long day has now diminished, fsn.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Sojka

Quote from: Leon on 26 August 2017, 09:09:20 PMDown here in 10mm, we're always operating within our own niche, so larger market trends don't seem to affect us as much but it is something I'd spoken to other traders about.

Im very happy things in 10 mm are stable, and even growing! It is the perfect scale I think for combined arms WWII gaming (Though I do go back and forth to 15mm in my mind at times.) Though does anyone know what is happening with the other big name 10mm manufacturer whose name begins with "P" and ends with "ithead"? I do like many of their models as well, but they have not been taking orders for most of the summer.

Leman

Only one's I'm aware of are Pendraken, Old Glory, Irregular and Magister Militum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leon

Quote from: Sojka on 19 September 2017, 01:01:31 PM
Though does anyone know what is happening with the other big name 10mm manufacturer whose name begins with "P" and ends with "ithead"? I do like many of their models as well, but they have not been taking orders for most of the summer.

I've not heard anything I'm afraid, I know he temporarily shuts down from time to time as he's got a full-time day job, so maybe it's taking a bit longer to get up and running again?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Steve J

IIRC he does it part time and sometimes shuts up shop for holidays, when work is busy etc. I've a couple of his vehicles and they are really nice. Don't like the figures though, which is a shame as he has a good range.

Leman

Which still leaves me wondering who the hell he is!

Wulf

His figures have loads of variety of poses and... not much detail...

His Stalingrad Fountain is... ambitious. And big.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Leman

That explains my lack of knowledge then.