Current Climate of Wargaming?

Started by Leon, 26 August 2017, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

if you can scale it to whatever size you want?

You can scale up and down a bit within reason, but taking a 1/48th scale tank file down to 1/150th doesn't work, as we tried it where I used to work. Also you have to scale from the centre of the model which is not easy to do.

Battleback

Quote from: Steve J on 04 December 2020, 09:42:22 PM
if you can scale it to whatever size you want?

You can scale up and down a bit within reason, but taking a 1/48th scale tank file down to 1/150th doesn't work, as we tried it where I used to work. Also you have to scale from the centre of the model which is not easy to do.
I've never tried scaling a figure to that extreme. Good to know! I'm still pretty new to 3D printing and I've scaled down 15mm stuff to 10mm and up scaled 6mm to 10mm. Their pretty close anyway so it turned out great. I've also taken 15mm buildings and scaled them to 1/285th without issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Orcs

Quote from: Battleback on 04 December 2020, 07:07:57 PM
I'm not going to say that files won't get pirated but Valve is now a 10 billion dollar company selling only digital files. And that's in a huge market, our hobby tiny in comparison so there should be way less people trying to hack Wargaming 3D printings systems.

Valve has the money to take legal steps to stop the piracy. With one or two exceptions, Wargames manufacturers don't

Quote from: Battleback on 04 December 2020, 07:07:57 PM
My guess is that a company's will need to focus on developing their own game systems where players can not only buy files but get immersed into the game.

I don't think most wargames manufacturers are interested in developing their own games systems.  Just because they produce  the "best figures" available does not mean that they will be any good at producing a games system.  Several manufacturers have tried and the results have not been satisfactory , let alone good.

I want  to play my own rules using the miniatures I choose, not be ties to a particular manufacturer. I think this applies to  most wargamers.

I am not saying you won't see a rise in the sale of  3d print files, but I think it will be quite slow and initially limited to stuff where people will only want one or two of the file . Ie  a print file of the church at St Mere Elise or Rorkes Drift etc.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

I'd say most attempts to control digital rights and copyright on software and media were largely unsuccessful. The decline in piracy has more to do with the desired media becoming cheap and readily available through subscription services than the clunky DRM and legal methods that mostly gave those using them a bad name.

There's no point trying to pirate music when you can pay a few quid a month for a hassle free music streaming service with it all on demand. Ultimately you can't really stop digital piracy, so you just need to make it not worthwhile...

In the wargaming industry the most evident part of it is PDF rules. Some manufacturers refuse to publish them or go down ridiculous lengths like putting your name multiple times on every page to personalise it. But in reality if the pdfs are reasonably priced and easy to get hold off from the manufacturer there's not much incentive to pirate them. Those that do pirate them are unlikely to be paying anyway!

With 3D printing I could see a subscription based print on demand service with manufacturers licensing their products to a particular platform, much like you see with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video for films and series.

Battleback

Quote from: Orcs on 05 December 2020, 01:26:15 PM
Valve has the money to take legal steps to stop the piracy. With one or two exceptions, Wargames manufacturers don't

I don't think most wargames manufacturers are interested in developing their own games systems.  Just because they produce  the "best figures" available does not mean that they will be any good at producing a games system.  Several manufacturers have tried and the results have not been satisfactory , let alone good.

I want  to play my own rules using the miniatures I choose, not be ties to a particular manufacturer. I think this applies to  most wargamers.

I am not saying you won't see a rise in the sale of  3d print files, but I think it will be quite slow and initially limited to stuff where people will only want one or two of the file . Ie  a print file of the church at St Mere Elise or Rorkes Drift etc.
Valve didn't start out as a huge company though, they were just a average sized game studio before they launched Steam, but even at that time they probably had more capital then most miniature manufacturers.

I agree and feel the same as you but we don't represent the majority market in the miniature hobby. GW is the driving force behind the hobby and their base does want to be tied to their game systems, same can be said the other big games like FOW, BA etc. If GW and the other large companies in miniature Wargaming jump into 3D printing then the smaller companies will be forced to as well.

If GW was smart they would launch a Steam like platform and allow other companies to use the platform too sell on the market like Valve did with Steam, and since it's GW they would be able to keep piracy down and build in steam like features etc. But knowing GW they'll probably sell GW branded printers, installed with a GW slicer that can only print GW models at GW prices.

The thing about 3D printing is it fits perfectly into our hobby. We like to create and build things, 3D printing allows people to do whatever they want or still buy designs from companies and people we admire and start printing them right away without the expense and time of hand sculpting figures and creating molds. All you need is to create are 3D files. There's already lots of D&D players that follow designers on Patron for the 3D files they create. Most create their own unique worlds that people enjoy so they pay monthly to get access to that world.

Today we buy scenario books from companies or make our own. But in the future we might buy or created a scenario that includes all the figures and special figures, terrain and markers needed to play a specific scenario. Print them out in color (pre painted essentially) in the morning and play it that evening. Sure we can't do that today but 15 years from now that certainly could happen.

Battleback

Quote from: mmcv on 05 December 2020, 03:27:13 PM
I'd say most attempts to control digital rights and copyright on software and media were largely unsuccessful. The decline in piracy has more to do with the desired media becoming cheap and readily available through subscription services than the clunky DRM and legal methods that mostly gave those using them a bad name.

There's no point trying to pirate music when you can pay a few quid a month for a hassle free music streaming service with it all on demand. Ultimately you can't really stop digital piracy, so you just need to make it not worthwhile...

In the wargaming industry the most evident part of it is PDF rules. Some manufacturers refuse to publish them or go down ridiculous lengths like putting your name multiple times on every page to personalise it. But in reality if the pdfs are reasonably priced and easy to get hold off from the manufacturer there's not much incentive to pirate them. Those that do pirate them are unlikely to be paying anyway!

With 3D printing I could see a subscription based print on demand service with manufacturers licensing their products to a particular platform, much like you see with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video for films and series.
Great points mmcv!

Also regarding PDF rules I'm sure I'm not alone in saying even if a company gives me the PDF rules for free, if I like the rules I'll buy a print copy, I think most of us in this hobby love books. Companies might even see more print copies sold if they lower their PDF prices, since it would expose more players to their rules.

mmcv

That's probably more true for rules books than army lists mind you, army lists I'm generally happy to just have as digital. Conversely I find it somewhat irritating when they don't provide a pdf copy as I'll usually buy a pdf over a hardcopy, at least initially and I'd generally not buy a hardcopy without also getting a pdf as I'd do my majority of reading on the digital version.

fred.

Quote from: Battleback on 05 December 2020, 03:40:40 PM.
Today we buy scenario books from companies or make our own. But in the future we might buy or created a scenario that includes all the figures and special figures, terrain and markers needed to play a specific scenario. Print them out in color (pre painted essentially) in the morning and play it that evening. Sure we can't do that today but 15 years from now that certainly could happen.

That is an interesting idea
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Battleback

Quote from: fred. on 05 December 2020, 07:49:31 PMThat is an interesting idea
Hero Forge just did a Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20Kickstarter and raised over 3 million for color 3D printed minis, so now you can design your own custom miniature and have it printed and mailed to you with no painting needed. Yeah an average to good painter can make the mini look better but it's certainly tabletop ready and most people don't like painting anyway.

It's pretty expensive per miniature but there is a demand. In 15 years time though the whole unit might be affordable for individuals to use at home and probably 10 times nicer then what we see today.

industrialtrousers

Top end is a bit pricey @ $149 for pro painted if you get 10 but other options there. Over interesting KS tho as seems a couple of steps ahead of others.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Battleback on 05 December 2020, 08:15:41 PM
Hero Forge just did a Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/heroforge/full-color-custom-miniatures-with-hero-forge-20Kickstarter and raised over 3 million for color 3D printed minis, so now you can design your own custom miniature and have it printed and mailed to you with no painting needed. Yeah an average to good painter can make the mini look better but it's certainly tabletop ready and most people don't like painting anyway.

It's pretty expensive per miniature but there is a demand. In 15 years time though the whole unit might be affordable for individuals to use at home and probably 10 times nicer then what we see today.

I can see this being incredibly popular for the D&D (and other role playing game) set.
A number of figure manufacturers have attempted to produce ranges in lead, but you can see the problems.
* Limited range: Halflings - better make a rogue with a bow and another with a lantern and shortsword. Dward: Fighters: One with axe and one with crossbow.
* Very limited sales: Compared to knocking out 8 viking sculpts for the SAGA crowd.

The 3d print brings massive flexibility around body, armour, equipment, weapons and shield, headgear, face and hair.
A brilliant offering if you need just one or two figures.

DaveH

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 22 December 2020, 04:43:03 PM
I can see this being incredibly popular for the D&D (and other role playing game) set.
A number of figure manufacturers have attempted to produce ranges in lead, but you can see the problems.
* Limited range: Halflings - better make a rogue with a bow and another with a lantern and shortsword. Dward: Fighters: One with axe and one with crossbow.
* Very limited sales: Compared to knocking out 8 viking sculpts for the SAGA crowd.

The 3d print brings massive flexibility around body, armour, equipment, weapons and shield, headgear, face and hair.
A brilliant offering if you need just one or two figures.

Yes, good for the Role playing market but not for the bulk wargaming market.

Ithoriel

My experience is that RPG GMs often have sizeable figure collections. My 400 figure Fantasy RPG collection paled into insignificance compare with those of a couple of GMs whose games I played in.

I couldn't justify the cost of a single Hero Forge figure for a character figure, let alone for the GM's "cast of thousands."
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Ithoriel on 22 December 2020, 06:56:47 PM
My experience is that RPG GMs often have sizeable figure collections. My 400 figure Fantasy RPG collection paled into insignificance compare with those of a couple of GMs whose games I played in.

I couldn't justify the cost of a single Hero Forge figure for a character figure, let alone for the GM's "cast of thousands."

Yeah the poor old GM/DM gets saddled with providing all the monsters and NPCs.
Now those can probably be done using generic metal or plastic figures.

The current economics of 3D make it attractive for player character 1 offs.
(Unless you play with a homicidal GM and need to switch character every few weeks).

Economics may move to support bulk production.
I can't anticipate when that will happen.

Ithoriel

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 23 December 2020, 12:26:45 AM
(Unless you play with a homicidal GM* and need to switch character every few weeks).

*That would be me .... well every few months maybe :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data