Spartan Games cease trading

Started by Fenton, 25 August 2017, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

Were MMS the ones that came in a black box with a little picture stuck to the front? I have quite a few of those, some still unbuilt...

Smoking gun

Quote from: Wulf on 28 August 2017, 01:47:11 PM
Were MMS the ones that came in a black box with a little picture stuck to the front? I have quite a few of those, some still unbuilt...

No, MMS came in a poly bag with a card header with a line drawing of the subject on the header and a small instruction sheet.

I think Skytrex sold some of their product in that format.

Regards,

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

owaincaesarius

I was a very early adopter of Spartan's "Uncharted Seas" fantasy naval game, I bought it as a dad and lad game and my son and I played it lots. It is now a very popular club game and we like the models and the rules. I personally liked the large scale ships.

A big mistake for me with SG was to cease support for this their first game, as this was a simple limited interest game to me I would add a few ships per year to my fleets so I was a loyal but not fanatical customer and would have continued to be this if the ships had still been available, even if they were only "special order" items. Once Spartan dropped all sales and even support for it it told me that my earlier custom was not valued, my enthusiasm for their product too was wasted. It told me not to risk starting another of their games as it may not be viable for me. Very sad as I liked their game a lot. It certainly put me off buying into their space combat game.I don't suppose I was the only person who felt like this. Sorry to see them go nevertheless.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Least with US you could scratch build, I've done several Dwarf cruisers.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 August 2017, 08:41:56 AM
Least with US you could scratch build, I've done several Dwarf cruisers.

How does one cruise a dwarf? I know Nicole Kidman was taller than her husband....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Trust the feline to lower the tone !!!!!
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Wulf

Quote from: Smoking gun on 28 August 2017, 04:50:45 PM
No, MMS came in a poly bag with a card header with a line drawing of the subject on the header and a small instruction sheet.

I think Skytrex sold some of their product in that format.
Ah, yes, thanks. I do have some MMS, but they're all built. I know I have their Matilda for a start...

FierceKitty

Quote from: ianrs54 on 29 August 2017, 10:38:53 AM
Trust the feline to lower the tone !!!!!

Someone's let him out of confinement. (sigh)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DanJ

To drag to thread towards the direction of its topic  :D

As others have aid looks like Spartan overstepped themselves on the HALO front.

As for their other gamers I've got a lot of Dystopian Wars land forces (the fleet actions never really clicked) but as others have said the rules were overly complex and went through various iterations without getting any clearer.  They did have some very nice mechanics though, their exploding D6 was very nice and could nicely reproduce a lucky hit.

Scale was always a bit odd, DW looks to be about 2mm, based on the size of doors etc. while their Dystopian Legions is about 32mm having said that I've mixed quite a lot of DL figures into my Steam Punk games without them looking out of place and a few DW vehicles (especially the Chinese) make great weird monsters.

Roy

Tor Gaming's Relics will continue.

https://torgaming.co.uk/2017/09/04/relics-is-saved/

""Tor Gaming are very excited to announce Relics is saved!

Since our announcement that Tor Gaming is closing we have been inundated with interested parties wanting to take on the mantle of 'Keeper of Relicia'! We were a little overwhelmed by the response and want to thank everyone who took the time to message us.

I am so pleased to announce the Relics gaming system has been acquired by TTCombat. The well-known producer of that awesome mdf terrain range is adding Relics to their growing stable of gaming systems, which include RUMBLESLAM and Carnevale. Coupled with their access to a large, well established distribution network, we believe TTCombat are perfectly placed to take Relics to where it deserves to be.

In the short term, we will be transferring the production of the Relics range to TTCombat's in-house production base down in sunny Cornwall, UK. They will then get on with familiarising themselves with the range, and in the very near future their design team will get to work expanding the world and pushing the game systems development forward.

We are over the moon with this change of ownership and have every confidence TTCombat are the best team to take on the care and future development of Relics.

During this period there will be some down time on the availability of the Relics range but you can all rest assured that the range of miniatures you all love will be back in the near future with the amazing backing of TTCombat.""

Ain't seen any further news on Spartan, nor Steel Fist, however (not that I've really looked)

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Roy

I did check on Steel Fist's Facebook for updates on that company, and Oliver (the sculptor/owner) has stated that interest has been good and he's set a cut-off point of the (12th iirc) of this month for all purchase offers to be made. 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

petercooman

Just received This email:

'Wayland Games Ltd (Buyer) purchased certain assets of Rebel Publishing Ltd (trading as Spartan Games) on Friday 22nd September 2017 and we note that you are currently listed on Rebel Publishing Limited's (Seller) customer database for the purpose of receiving details of products and/or services from the Seller.'

Fenton

Just seen it my self. Looks like Dystopian Wars, the space game and Uncharted Seas
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

petercooman

They gave 2 Space games, firestorm armada and halo Space battles.