Britsh trucks in Korea

Started by Dave, 22 August 2017, 10:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Britsh trucks in korea

Any ideas? apart from Bedford and the gun tractors?

Dave

Sunray

In the early part of the war, there are a pile of images of British troops (tropical dress/bush hats) being transported in US trucks - the duce & 1/2 was the workhorse.

John Dutton's reference work on the REME in Korea makes constant mention to Bedford OY and QL.   The RL (my personal transport) was in theory "in service" but I see no evidence of Korean deployment.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd agree, the basis would be late WWII stuff. It is remarkable how long the British Army can keep it's trucks and lorries.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 22 August 2017, 11:23:31 AM
I'd agree, the basis would be late WWII stuff. It is remarkable how long the British Army can keep it's trucks and lorries.

IanS

Too right. The Quad got  re-engine and served Korea, as did  the AEC Matador which was around with TA units until the late 1970s 

Sunray

Interestingly it was the Series 1 Landrover and not the Austin Champ that was send for "troop trials" in Korea.  :)

kustenjaeger

The Official History has references to 15-cwt and 3-ton lorries with 27 Brigade having to use US 2nd line transport for lifting its battalions.  In 1951 57 Coy RASC apparently had 90 3-ton lorries over and above its own administrative needs but these were not enough for both 27 and 29 Brigades.

Regards

Edward

Dave

Quote from: Sunray on 22 August 2017, 11:10:16 AM
In the early part of the war, there are a pile of images of British troops (tropical dress/bush hats) being transported in US trucks - the duce & 1/2 was the workhorse.

John Dutton's reference work on the REME in Korea makes constant mention to Bedford OY and QL.   The RL (my personal transport) was in theory "in service" but I see no evidence of Korean deployment.

From what I've read it came out just after, shame it has great shape.

Dave

Dave

Quote from: kustenjaeger on 22 August 2017, 07:04:18 PM
The Official History has references to 15-cwt and 3-ton lorries with 27 Brigade having to use US 2nd line transport for lifting its battalions.  In 1951 57 Coy RASC apparently had 90 3-ton lorries over and above its own administrative needs but these were not enough for both 27 and 29 Brigades.

Regards

Edward

thornycroft nubian????