Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 21 August 2017, 05:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

They were a Cavalry Rgt - at Sedgmoor
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

Ian, I don't know if the Blues were known as Oglethorpe's. Oglethorpe was, I think, a Horse Guards officer (and their rank structure was inflated - a troop captain being considered a colonel  :o) who had been detailed to handle the scouting by Feversham. He certainly had elements of the Blues under his command (as well as elements of other horse regiments) and he was with one or more troops at Sedgemoor proper. I think at the time the Blues were still called Oxford's Blues (after their colonel). I could certainly be wrong, however.

Incidently, the Blues were formerly a New Model regiment which gives them an even more interesting linage.

Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

I was thinking the Rangers the later Oglethorpe raised for service in Georgia :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

They are certainly listed by Charlie Grant in "From Pike to Musket".

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Hwiccee

The 'Blues' were under the command/ownership of the Earl of Oxford at the time of Sedgemoor and generally known as 'the Oxford Blues'. But the Earl of Oxford was a good friend of Monmouth and in effect not trusted to lead the unit against Monmouth in 1685. So Oglethorpe who was a 'spare' colonel in the Horse Guards was given command.

d_Guy

For Sedgemoor, I've been working off the OoB in Chris Scott's book which has the Lt. Col. (Sir Francis Compton) commanding the Blues.

I suppose that the numbering system for regiments came about to help clear up the confusion of naming units after their colonel.

As an American I often become confused also by the reference to titles, which change how histories refer to a specific individual. Mackay suddenly becomes Scorie, Ormond becomes Ormonde, etc. It did raise my stock among the many friends who are Downton Abby fans when I could explain how Lady Edith, becoming a Marchioness, would instantly outrank everyone in her entire family.  :)

Hwiccee

05 September 2017, 03:28:28 PM #21 Last Edit: 05 September 2017, 03:30:09 PM by Hwiccee
I don't have the Scott book but Compton was the Lt Colonel of the Blues at the time and he was wounded at the battle. Both Oxford and Oglethorpe were full Colonel's and so outranked him & so would get to 'name' the unit normally. But as you say the system was complicated and this unit could easily have be called 'Oxford's', 'Oglethorpe's' and 'Compton's' Blues without any actually being wrong.

d_Guy

Simplest to just call them the "Blues" and be done with it.  :)

profjohn

When the Green Howard's, the Duke of Wellington's and the Prince of Wales's Own were amalgamated they missed the chance to call them The Prince of Wales's Own Green Wellingtons.

Sandinista

Quote from: profjohn on 17 November 2017, 03:12:32 AM
When the Green Howard's, the Duke of Wellington's and the Prince of Wales's Own were amalgamated they missed the chance to call them The Prince of Wales's Own Green Wellingtons.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

toxicpixie

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

ErHo

Quote from: profjohn on 17 November 2017, 03:12:32 AM

That made my morning, cheers!  :D
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Terry37

Re "The Prince of Wales's Own Green Wellingtons" - I would have thought that would have been THE PRINCE OF WALES's OWN GREEN WELLIES? At least that's what I've always heard them referred to, but then I'm on the other side of the pond. However, I do still have mine from our last visit to Watership Down.

Our Wellies after walking the path Hazel and company took at Sandleford Warren to cross the Enborne.

Later at the "Great Beech" on top of Watership Down.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams