The Battle of Balkankle 1645

Started by SV52, 21 August 2017, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

A rather lengthy AAR over on the blog with my thoughts on how first time use of One Hour Wargames rules went:

Have at it chaps!  :)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Very much appreciated AAR with some interesting ideas to ponder. Great looking table. I wonder if Wullie McSporran is a distant ancestor of my imaginary Scottish friend, Jimmy McSporran.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Very inspirational table and report SV52 :-bd

Looks like the time for our next Baroque game is fast approaching Paul!  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

d_Guy

Great looking board and very much enjoyed the AAR.

I like OHW for solo play and doing small battle situations.

I decided to live with the ammo rule since it is simple and units with firearms can't initiate a close combat until they are out of ammo. I found this added a good deal of "friction" in game decision making.

I added in a morale feature (thanks to some ideas from our Norm's experiments with OHW ACW) that can cause a unit in Melee' to be forced back (with additional losses). This really tends to move things along.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

Verv nice report and reminds me that I really  must get some games in soon.

Norm

Enjoyable read and presentation of process - thanks

SV52

Thanks for the comments comrades, always appreciated.

d Guy:  Decided to leave well alone with the ammunition rule. Morale is a good one. I'll try this; each time a hit counter changes colour the Unit rolls, 1 - 3 stays put, 4 - 6, retires two hexes.  On arrival rolls again, the score being the number of hit points removed. While rallying the Unit cannot move, fire or fight until next turn.  If it is attacked or comes under fire while rallying it flees the field and is eliminated.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

That should work - anything that can shift your opponent out of a fixed position is a needed adaptation, I think.
Incidently, at first I didn't get the "colour change" but now see it is an elegant way to keep track of casualties,
way less cumbersome than what I do. Thanks!  :)
Sleep with clean hands ...

SV52

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 August 2017, 04:10:43 PM
That should work - anything that can shift your opponent out of a fixed position is a needed adaptation, I think.
Incidently, at first I didn't get the "colour change" but now see it is an elegant way to keep track of casualties,
way less cumbersome than what I do. Thanks!  :)

Kind of you to say so. The coloured dice were the reason elimination went from 15 to 18, just something less to manage; with my memory they got to 15 and stayed around.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Techno

SV52

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

Higher cohesion/hits should be nicely balanced by the possible loss from the morale rolls?

Sounds a good addition, and a good write up.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

Looks like a really fun game, and a great looking table set up!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

SV52

Thanks for your interest folks.

Terry; it would have been fun but it took hours to get through because of doing the AAR at the same time :( Kind of lost the point of a fast straightforward game.  Next time, no AAR or on the back burner, maybe then I'll get the experience I'm supposed to get  :D

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!