Fiasco Show Report!

Started by Leon, 02 November 2010, 05:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

02 November 2010, 05:11:51 AM Last Edit: 10 November 2010, 11:02:23 PM by Leon
It seemed ages since we had a show nearby, which didn't involve an overnight stay, so it was quite a nice feeling setting off to the Fiasco show in Leeds this past weekend.  The first bit of good news is that we now have a new van, so please allow me to unveil The Van Mk II:

It's bigger, better and bluer than the last one, and the best bit is that it actually goes!  We've not had time to get it all carpeted in the back, but we got loaded up and off we went:

The venue for this years show has changed.  Last year we were over in the Royal Armouries museum itself, but the hall had a couple of disadvantages, with some lower ceilings and a few areas that weren't too well lit.  So this year, the guys from Leeds Wargames Club managed to acquire the new Convention hall over the road, named after one of the country's most famous entertainers... now then, now then...

The new hall is much larger, with nice high ceilings giving an airy feeling, and great lighting throughout:

The huge bonus from a trader point of view is the amount of space available.  Some shows you go to, you're crammed in with barely enough room for a chair, but here we even had enough room to store our roll cage.  I don't think I've mentioned the cage before, it's actually a cool bit of work by Dave.  We got a newspaper printers roll cage and chopped the top down, then put some shelves in it.  So now we can slide upto five racks onto it and happily roll into the shows:

Just inside the front entrance was the food area, with some rather spiffing staff in waistcoats to serve everyone.  We sat down with the Baccus team for a bacon buttie before the show opened:

The show started quietly, but with a decent number of people milling about.  I think it was one of those where people have a good look about before deciding what they want, as things began to pick up after 11.

The Forum force was strong in this one, and we had visits from several of our Members during the day.  Sultanbev popped by and picked up some stuff, with his mate Peter Rushton, who reminded me of how well his Fantasy Football team is doing.  As I confidently declared that I would catch him up, little did I know that Kevin Nolan was busy banging in a hat trick for his team...  :(  Count Zero came by to pick up one of the Dungeon Boosters, Rob Nott was there from start to finish looking at some goodies, and also put in another vote for the Falklands War!  I also had chance to have a good chat with Mockern, one of our newer members, who has posted some excellent pictures in the Photo board (http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?board=8.0).  We also chatted with Eldamarelf, Captain Black, dab and Tannenbaum, who were all manning other stands.  Gandalf also popped by to say hello, as did DanJ, who was telling me about plans for the WW1 rules he made available in the 'Rules' section.

The afternoon went quickly, with a good number of people wandering about.  The slight change of venue didn't seem to have had any any effect on the numbers through the door, and by the time it came to pack up, we had had our best day at Fiasco ever, which meant that we could get a takeaway when we got home!  That pleasure was short-lived though, as then I had to get out casting until the early hours!

Cheers to the Leeds Wargames Club, and we'll see you again next year!

Now for a quick apology, there was actually a game out in the foyer, which looked like the best one at the show, but I didn't realise it was there and missed on my photo's.  I don't know if anyone else has any pics of it, but if they do, that would be great.

So, the games:

And the 'Cat in the Hat':

A Forum member...

And a member of the Baccus team, who wanted a couple of pics for his Facebook profile!

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Gandalf

Good pics Leon.  The new van looks mint!
I thought the show was a big improvement on last year.  The room was a lot better than the one previously used in the museum and it didn't feel like the traders had been piled in on top of each other.  Much better layout and lighting. 

Not too sure how I feel about the dodgy pictures of Jimmy Saville plastered all over the place though  :-\
Have you seen the rivets on that?

Aart Brouwer

Oh, teh pics..

Must. Move. To. UK.  8->

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Leodis

Ta for the nice words.

The game you missed was The Battle of Albuera by Legendary Wargames, and Rob Nott had to stick around, he's the club secretary, and also weak willed, early WWII Russians spring to mind.

Jase

@Aart: no worries, Crisis is much closer (both geographically, as well as calendarilly), so you can be the Cat in the Hat as well ;)
Exitus Acta Probat

Paint it Pink

Nice shiny new van you've got there. Now what is this rumour that I've been hearing about another price rise?  :d
Unlike some people, I feel under no obligation to pretend that only one war-gaming scale is true, and that any others 6mm/10mm/15mm/25mm are mistaken; or that I know better than people themselves what is right for them to use. The point is precisely for all war-gamers to decide for themselves.

http://panther6actual.blogspot.com/
http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/

Leon

Quote from: Paint it Pink on 02 November 2010, 01:39:53 PM
Now what is this rumour that I've been hearing about another price rise?  :d

Not if we can help it!  Although if the metal costs keep going up, it'll only be a matter of time.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

nikharwood

Nice show report there Leon - good choice of colour for the van as well....after me: one, two, three:

Blue is the colour
Football is the game
We're all together & winning is the aim
So cheer us on through the sun and rain
Cos Chelsea, Chelsea is our name

8)

Sandinista

Nik should be banned for that last post ;-)

One of my Chelsea "mates" got the DJ (another Chelsea fan) to play that song at my wedding, only lasted 3 bars though before I got it off.

nikharwood

hehehe - couldn't help it  ;)

Funnily enough, one of my bright-spark friends tried to pull the same stunt at my wedding with "Glory, Glory Man United"... >:( :-q