W3K Scots

Started by SV52, 18 August 2017, 02:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

It will be interesting to see how that turns out. I really like the Neil Thomas approach.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

That makes two of us mate ;)

Random thoughts prior to kick-off.

For aesthetic if no other reason all the 'Units' must be the same size (i.e. number of bases).  Would look a bit odd when one base of Highlanders attacks three bases of pike and shot infantry and it's not even the kamikaze season, a bit much even for me.  Single bases of dragoons I don't have a problem with, these sneaky devils will shoot and scoot anyway.  Scoring therefore has to be for the entire 'Unit', not base for base; e.g. artillery fire on a foot regiment scores hits on the whole regiment, not on one of the musket wings or on the pikes.  The whole concept is perfect for DBA armies where a 'Unit' is a single base anyway and I've got a shed load of them.

I'm using those dinky little dice from Minibits to record damage.  In order to use as few as possible, 1 to 6 hits is a green die, 7 to 12 is a yellow die and 13 to 18 is a red die, each replaced at the appropriate moment.  Therefore elimination is at 18 rather than the OHW 15.  Also easy to see the state of any 'Unit' at a glance.

If you are in any way desirous of historical realism then this is definitely not for you.  Probably will suit me as to be perfectly honest, the gaming bit is not really where my main interest lies.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Leman

Very interesting idea on the dice, and taking the value to 18. Playing the games at 15 strength I've never had a one go beyond 45 minutes.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

SV52

I've no idea how long the overall game is going to take as it's being done turn by turn interrupted by other things.  The photography and journalising doesn't help.  What I need is a chess timer.  May as well play chess instead ;D
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!