Red Skull and Captain America at It Again!

Started by Terry37, 13 August 2017, 10:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Yesterday the Nashville area DBA/HOTT group gathered along with other Nashville area gamers for a fun afternoon of seeing who was Top Dog. Our group has diminished a couple of players due to one passing and one moving away, but the core group is still going strong. I played five HOTT games, while next to me David Crenshaw played some marathon DBN games, first with Bob Gunter an then with Dave Cliffel, and MarcWozniac and Dave Cliffel also got in a game of HOTT.

In all of our shining beauty (yeah, yeah, I know it's in the eye of the beholder!!!) here we are. L to R front: David Crenshaw, Kristie Gunter, Bob Gunter. L to R Back: Terry Webb, Mark Wozniac, Paul Potter and Dave Cliffel.

I was especially happy that Paul was able to make it, as he drives down form Bowling Green , Kentucky to join in, and he and I have been planning some games for some time using two of my Weird World war armies. So in the first game with him, he commanded my Red Skull army, while I commanded Captain Miller and the rest of the Hollywood heroes! Here's Paul about to lead the evil forces of Red Skull ....to oblivion?????

Our initial deployments in our first game, looking from the Hollywood American side. The trees in the pictures are Paul's, and the pictures just do not do them justice, because they are truly awesome, and appropriately creepy looking!

Red Skull's Terror Bird has swept past all defenses and was lingering in the rear area of the Hollywood lines. Hmmm, was this a threat or a faint?????

The lines are about to clash.  The German Zombies from Dead Snow are charging Sgt. Stryker and his "Devil Dog" Marines and Captain America's Commandos while Lulubelle keeps the Panther Lehr at bay.

Hmmm, looks like the Dead Snow zombies didn't fair to well as ones seems to be gone, while some of Captain America's Commandos have punched through the Red Skull line and have hit an element of the Werewolf Brigade in the flank, forcing them to turn to face and leaving no room to recoil....in the likely event such should come about! Meanwhile Red Skull and Dr. Zola look on from far to the rear in their laboratory hideout.

Needless to say, Captain Miller and Captain America trained their men well, and before all was said and done Red Skull was once again marked PAID! Having had fun with that game we decided to go for a second round, only switching armies. This time I was leading Red Skull, while Paul was leading Captain Miller.

In this first view the action has already closed, and red Skull's troops have been pushing hard against the Hollywood Americans. The Panther Lehr have pushed back Sgt. Gunn and Lulubelle, leaving the Hydra Guard and the Death's Head Legion to catch up.

On the left flank the Dino Panzers, Terror Bird and an element of the Dead Snow zombies have been roughing up the Hollywood boys on that side. Notice the Werewolf Brigade about to smack down Sgt. Stryker and his "Devil Dog" Marines!

As one often hears, a picture is worth a thousand words, and this picture seems to say it all. The Hollywood Americans seem to have gone to the cutting room floor, as poor Captain Miller and Captain America are asking themselves "Hey' where'd the rest of the guys go?"!

Next up it was a real blood letting, as I foolishly took on Paul's Barbarian Horde with my Halloween army!

I'm still trying to figure out what hit me in that one. perhaps having a general without a head isn't the best of ideas!!!!

I then played a fun game with Kristie, and pulled of a quick win when I took out her general early on. Sorry, no pictures of that one.

My last game of the day we used some of Paul's troops and I asked if I could command his Post Apocalyptic Mutant Army, and had a blast with it. He again commanded his Barbarian army.

This was a really fun game and was nip and tuck all the way. Several times I had the win, only to have the die roll fail me, and in the end, Paul wore me down for the win. Sorry you can't see some of his really creative pink and green alien type mutants better, but I'm sure we'll be seeing them again!

Here are a few shots of what was going on around me as the day wore on. Sorry I was so busy defending myself I have no details of the other games.

Bob Gunter and David Crenshaw foreground bashing it out with DBN. That's Dave Cliffel in the back ground, but not sure if he's yawning, or gaping in amazement  after losing a predicted combat win!

Some of Bob and David's Napoleonic game.

There was lots of other gaming going on, and here's a quick shot of another part of the room. Sorry, but can't tell you what all they were playing.

Well, that's my report for the day. Had a great time - fun games, excellent fellowship and even came home with some wins!!!!

Terry

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

sunjester

Steve J

Some great looking games which I must admit are tempting me towards HoTT!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Steve J

In fact I succumbed this lunchtime. Look forward to getting the rules and coming up with some fun armies.

Terry37

Steve,

All I can say is that HOTT is my first choice of rules. If you can think it, then you can probably create it for a game of HOTT.

Not sure where you're located, but I can probably hook you up with some fellow HOTT gamers, who usually have loaner armies, and playing a few games with others is the best way to learn them. Also, I am always happy to help with any questions you might have.

FYI, The rule book also comes with a good many suggested army lists, but never feel bound by them, as they are only suggestion.

Welcome aboard, and have fun!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Enjoyed the post and pics!

Quote from: Terry37 on 14 August 2017, 02:41:54 PM
If you can think it, then you can probably create it for a game of HOTT.

It's better than that, I keep finding armies that given a dozen lifetimes I would never have thought of  :)
You can spend hours just looking at photos of amazingly ctreative armies (Terry being the proud owner/creator of several)

In case you haven't seen it:
http://web.archive.org/web/20021212194356/www.btinternet.com/~alan.catherine/wargames/strong.htm
And it's reincarnation:
http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com

Terry can point you to every other known resource (and probably some unknown as well!)  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Steve J

Thanks for the offers chaps :). Will bear this in mind when the book arrives etc. Initially I envisage solo games and then will tempt some of my regular gaming chums if all goes to plan...