How many brushes is enough?

Started by fsn, 08 August 2017, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: d_Guy on 08 August 2017, 08:44:28 PM
As an add-on, how many fingers is enough fingers?

I recently bought some painted 10mm's (Pendraken as it happens) during Ian Hind's 20% off sale. Today I am debasing them.
The two afore mentioned X-acto's (with different size chisel blades) are my primary tools. Here is the status of by left hand after four hours:

Im not as quick as I used to be.

X_X

Have you considered a butcher's mail/mesh glove?!  :-\

There's a wide array of pictures of people grabbing knives by the blade and stabbing themselves in the palm on Amazon for you to choose from...  8-}

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

paulr

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 August 2017, 02:28:07 AM
Paul,I just checked the test batch after about a 5 hour soak. I can now pick them of the bases like ripe grapes!
I thank you and my remaining figures thank you.  :) :-bd :-bd

Glad to be of service, Good sir
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Quote from: GrumpyOldMan on 09 August 2017, 08:54:37 AM
Is that 'remaining figures' or 'remaining fingers'   ;D

;D ;D yes - both!

So to return to the thread

Have now added to my kit:
One waterbath (thanks Paul)
One chainmail (or whatever you want to call it)  glove (Thanks Meirion)
Sleep with clean hands ...

Smoking gun

A very useful item I use is a small Ultrasonic cleaning bath I bought from Aldi or Llidl to mix paint and clean things , e.g. airbrush. If mixing paint in a bottle with a paper label I put the paint bottle in a plastic bag to stop the label coming off.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: d_Guy on 09 August 2017, 03:34:03 PM
;D ;D yes - both!

So to return to the thread

Have now added to my kit:
One waterbath (thanks Paul)
One chainmail (or whatever you want to call it)  glove (Thanks Meirion)

Glad to be of assistance :)

What type did you go for?  Let us know how you get on with it, especially with regards to handling small figures.

Cheers,

Meirion

d_Guy

Quote from: Smoking gun on 13 August 2017, 05:15:46 PM
A very useful item I use is a small Ultrasonic cleaning bath I bought from Aldi or Llidl to mix paint and clean things , e.g. airbrush. If mixing paint in a bottle with a paper label I put the paint bottle in a plastic bag to stop the label coming off.

Martin

This is also an excellent piece of equipment to have handy. Good suggestion!

As to the "mail" glove, the do make them but very pricey - I ordered a pair of cut resistant kitchen gloves the should arrive soon and will test (without my fingers in them!). I base with locktite gel on wooden squares and soaking is not useful. Simply need to protect my left hand when shearing off figures, fortunately don't need to handle figure with gloves.

d_Guy

Just to finish the thought:

This is a Dowellific High Performance Cut Level 5 glove. It is very flexible and fits tightly so reasonabley easy to manipulate small things (even picking up and rotating a single 10mm figure is fairly easy). My initial cut tests were OK (about the same force that occurs when I use a chisel blade to debase). It will not turn the sharp point of a blade but would reduce the depth of penetration. No - I did NOT have my fingers in the glove for this testing.  :)

Have debased the remains 30 figures but no slips so I have no data on live use - yet.

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: d_Guy on 17 August 2017, 03:51:33 PM
Just to finish the thought:

This is a Dowellific High Performance Cut Level 5 glove. It is very flexible and fits tightly so reasonabley easy to manipulate small things (even picking up and rotating a single 10mm figure is fairly easy). My initial cut tests were OK (about the same force that occurs when I use a chisel blade to debase). It will not turn the sharp point of a blade but would reduce the depth of penetration. No - I did NOT have my fingers in the glove for this testing.  :)

Have debased the remains 30 figures but no slips so I have no data on live use - yet.

Great stuff, hope they do the job and keep the fingers safe  :-bd

Techno

As if I need one of those gloves.

Shares in Elastoplast will plummet if it ever gets out that I've bought one of those.  :D

Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 18 August 2017, 07:14:55 AM
As if I need one of those gloves.

Shares in Elastoplast will plummet if it ever gets out that I've bought one of those.  :D

Cheers - Phil

I'm not sure that style would do it with your track record Phil - probably best to go straight to a mail butcher's glove or even a plate gauntlet to be on the safe side  X_X  ;)

Cheers!

Meirion

Techno

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Course your modelling standard will get even lower if you do use one.  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

I'm sure it would !  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Plus your best work requires blood sacrifice, apparently.  ;)

mollinary

Getting back to the original question, in my experience it is about x + 5 , where x = the number you currently own.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!