Late war germans

Started by Sunray, 06 August 2017, 03:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Yes, 1945 Germans. StG 44, short boots, - could proxy for post war Spanish and a host of Latin American nations.

Any interest ?

Roy

Yes.

Also for an 'ersatz M10' Panther and a funny looking 'we're disguised as Americans' StuG, although those two are rather limited in uses. Also a Schwimmwagen model. 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Sunray

If anyone has images of existing late war Germans- it would be most useful  :-X

Roy

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 06 August 2017, 04:18:06 PM
Yes ... an 'ersatz M10' Panther

So I don't have to attempt further conversions!

I'm no sculptor, craftsmen, or modeller, and the finished miniature conversion isn't exactly (HUGE understatement) accurate, to say the least, but it looks close enough to an 'ersatz M10' to suit my needs. So job done. 
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 07 August 2017, 04:43:26 PM
So I don't have to attempt further conversions!

I'm no sculptor, craftsmen, or modeller, and the finished miniature conversion isn't exactly (HUGE understatement) accurate, to say the least, but it looks close enough to an 'ersatz M10' to suit my needs. So job done. 

Do you want me to mould it for you?

Dave

Roy

08 August 2017, 02:32:20 PM #7 Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 02:35:14 PM by RoyWilliamson
It won't be worked on further for a while, as I've other stuff to do, but I'll keep in mind that moulding is an option should I want multiples.
I'll make sure I've decided before I start to paint it.
Thanks for that.

mart678

fred.

Quote from: Sunray on 06 August 2017, 05:25:14 PM
If anyone has images of existing late war Germans- it would be most useful  :-X

This is old code GR124 Ardennes Rifle & PzFz  (1 pose, greatcoat, walking with PanzerFaust and Rifle)

I do like that Panther / M10
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Sunray

Quote from: fred. on 08 August 2017, 06:16:35 PM
This is old code GR124 Ardennes Rifle & PzFz  (1 pose, greatcoat, walking with PanzerFaust and Rifle)

I do like that Panther / M10

Thanks Fred- much appreciated. and........+1 for that "M10)

Mako

Count me in on the infantry.

Need a guy walking patrol, with MG42 ready to fire, at the waist, as the lead guy in a squad, to match German tactics.  Works for mid to late-war.

Also need a prone MG42 gunner, and/or team, firing as well, as previously requested, to go with the others.

Would love to see some guys in camo smocks, zeltbahns, etc., with mid to late-war weapons and the short boots - late rifles, panzerfausts, and panzerschrecks, if they aren't already available.

Sunray

Quote from: Mako on 10 August 2017, 07:44:03 AM
Count me in on the infantry.

Need a guy walking patrol, with MG42 ready to fire, at the waist, as the lead guy in a squad, to match German tactics.  Works for mid to late-war.

Also need a prone MG42 gunner, and/or team, firing as well, as previously requested, to go with the others.

Would love to see some guys in camo smocks, zeltbahns, etc., with mid to late-war weapons and the short boots - late rifles, panzerfausts, and panzerschrecks, if they aren't already available.

Interestingly Brit tactics also adopted the MG42 in "Rambo" mode. late in the war.  Made one hell of a difference in fire fights with the Bren and the MG42 effectively creating two fire teams.

Mako

Yep, that'd be a lot of firepower.

Some/many German units also had more than one MG per squad, apparently, especially, later in the war, so they would have been very powerful too, assuming you could carry all the ammo needed to feed them.  Some were stripped off of halftracks, and I suspect others were acquired as losses mounted, and they were left on the battlefield, to be picked up and pressed into service.

Sunray

The aspect of carrying ammo is a key point.   Belts have to be constructed with links- a time consuming task.  A box fed LMG - whilst not having the rate of fire of a GPMG - is a lot less hassle, especially when the magazines interchanged with the rifle.

But circa 1945, the Brits are with the .303.  An average squad will have 9mm for the Sten, .303 for their No 4's /Bren and belts of 7.92mm for the MG42 they may have rased from the battlefield.

For the Germans, things are complicated by the issue of the StG 44.  The 7.92 Kurz joined the older 7.92x57 for the 98k and MG42, plus the 9mm for the SMG.

In general, veteran troops tend to lay down more suppressive fire. The Germans are probably at an advantage as they are defending and do not need to yoump so much ammo about, but you can see how it becomes a quartermaster's hell.   

The Falkland's Task force found itself replenishing Argentine 7.62 after several firefights.  I am sure the same practice occurred in WW2.