WWII Tanks

Started by FJAdams, 12 August 2017, 11:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJAdams

I bought the Panzer Strike France 1944 Pocket game from Forsage Games.  Looked like a nice easy and quick game, and it is.

The tanks that come with the game are two different color plastic with different colored turrets that are not that badly molded. However I wanted to play with the actual tanks they are supposed to be. So I ordered a few 3mm tanks of what they are supposed to be. However I don't know much about WWII armor, or really anything even though I played it some back in the 80s & early 90s.

The tanks are:

Table A: Heavy, Medium, Light. 
Table B: German, Tiger, Pz IV, Pz 38t. British, Churchill, Sherman, Covenanter, which I found out is the Cruiser. 
Table C: German, Tiger II, Panther, Pz III. British, Jumbo, Firefly, Hellcat.

I take it these tanks are listed in the order of Heavy, Medium, Light.

If I decide to add some other tanks to them what would I use that would be the equivalent for US, Russian, Japanese, or any other nation that had tanks in the war.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, frank

Wulf

The Covenanter was never mass produced, the nearest operational tank would be the Crusader. The choices of Jumbo & Hellcat are strange for the Brits too, I'm sure they never used the Hellcat (substitute the Achilles or M10 instead), and don't think they used the Jumbo (but other than the Churchill the Brits were a bit short on Heavy tanks...)

For the US:
Pershing, Sherman, Stuart
Jumbo, Chaffee, Hellcat
USSR:
KV-1, T-28, BT-7
IS-2, T-34, T-70
The Italians struggle for a heavy, but possibly:
Semovente da 75, M 13/40, CV.35
Japanese... erm... I guess the Chi-Ha was a medium, but other than that the rest were lights, and barring fantasy tanks there were no real Heavy tanks.

Norm

12 August 2017, 11:54:34 PM #2 Last Edit: 12 August 2017, 11:58:28 PM by Norm
Quote from: FJAdams on 12 August 2017, 11:24:25 PM
I bought the Panzer Strike France 1944 Pocket game from Forsage Games.  Looked like a nice easy and quick game, and it is.

The tanks that come with the game are two different color plastic with different colored turrets that are not that badly molded. However I wanted to play with the actual tanks they are supposed to be. So I ordered a few 3mm tanks of what they are supposed to be. However I don't know much about WWII armor, or really anything even though I played it some back in the 80s & early 90s.

The tanks are:

Table A: Heavy, Medium, Light.  
Table B: German, Tiger, Pz IV, Pz 38t. British, Churchill, Sherman, Covenanter, which I found out is the Cruiser.  
Table C: German, Tiger II, Panther, Pz III. British, Jumbo, Firefly, Hellcat.

I take it these tanks are listed in the order of Heavy, Medium, Light.

If I decide to add some other tanks to them what would I use that would be the equivalent for US, Russian, Japanese, or any other nation that had tanks in the war.

Thanks in advance for any and all help, frank

Hi Frank, I don't know anything about the rules, so they may just be referring to each tank type as a generic of either light, medium or heavy, but if it is not simply a generic and fun game, then there is something wrong with those lists. If we are in 1944, then things like the 38t are out by 3 years or so and likewise it would be unusual to see the Pz III (which is not strictly a light tank) in the same context as the Tiger II and Panther. Also neither the Jumbo or Hellcat were British.

If we have to use the categories of Heavy, Medium and Light for 1944, the I can offer the following suggestions, but the immediate problem is that a light 'tank' might not necessarily carry a light gun, so it could be light in terms of armour, but harder hitting in terms of it's gun,  but anyway, if we have to settle on something, try these.

German Tiger I, Panzer IV, Marder III
Soviet J.S. II, T34/85, SU 76
U.S. Jumbo (a trying to be hard Sherman), M4 Sherman with 75mm gun, Stuart
British Churchill, Cromwell, M10

Ithoriel

My three ha'porth

For 1944, when the game is set, I'd go for

HEAVY                                        MEDIUM           LIGHT
USA           Pershing or Sherman Jumbo         M4 Sherman     M5 Stuart or Chaffee
UK              Churchill VII                               Cromwell          M5 Stuart
USSR          IS2 or KV1                                 T34/85             T70
GERMANY   Tiger or King Tiger                      PzIVH                PzII Lynx

Hopefully the spacing above will survive posting!

Pershing doesn't actually arrive until 1945 but it avoids potential confusion between the Jumbo and the M4.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Ithoriel

For info, the game looks like this - I'm assuming not super detailed?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Listing as heavy, medium, light (tank destroyer), light (armoured car)

British: Churchill, Cromwell or Comet (Dec 44), Archer, Daimler armoured car
German: Tiger I, PzIV or Panther, Hetzer, SdKfz234
US: Jumbo, Sherman, M18 Hellcat, M8 Greyhound

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FJAdams

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 August 2017, 02:53:20 AM
For info, the game looks like this - I'm assuming not super detailed?

That's the game.  I know it's not detailed but for a quick and easy game it works.

It'll do until the BK III rewrite comes out then I'll be looking at building some real armies.

FJAdams

Thanks for the help.  I'm sure the advice given will work for what the game is. Mostly think it'd be more fun with tanks that look like tanks.

Frank