Getting my WSS Cavalry "Profesionally" painted

Started by Orcs, 04 August 2017, 09:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Womble67

Quote from: Orcs on 23 August 2017, 12:43:11 AM

Well the supposedly repainted figures came back from Turbil miniatures today.

I'm really sorry that you're still unhappy with their service I was hoping that they would get this resolved correctly and promptly for you

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Quote from: Womble67 on 23 August 2017, 11:38:24 AM
I'm really sorry that you're still unhappy with their service I was hoping that they would get this resolved correctly and promptly for you

Take care

Andy

Thanks Andy, its not your fault in any way. As I have said I have seen Sunjesters ones "In the flesh"and they are fine, the ones on your blog are fine. Had I received mine even the second time around to the same standard I would have happily recommended them. 
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Womble67

Quote from: Orcs on 23 August 2017, 11:42:59 AM
Thanks Andy, its not your fault in any way. As I have said I have seen Sunjesters ones "In the flesh"and they are fine, the ones on your blog are fine. Had I received mine even the second time around to the same standard I would have happily recommended them. 

I have also personally messaged you regarding this matter

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 August 2017, 10:57:54 AM
- did you (or someone else?) mention they thought they might be "farmed out" - I'd hope they wouldn't have the same person do them again, if so, but sounds like they did...
- from what you've said I'd be tempted to just overspray them and start from scratch!

Only ordered professionally painted figures twice. First was a long time ago and consisted of a mixed order of 9 x 10mm Prussian Kurassiers and 12 x 6mm Austrian Hussars which seemed to take forever. The Prussians came back as Austrians(!) and clearly conformed to the thick black undercoat school of painting thus filling in and obscuring much of the detail. The Austrians were painted in enamel, so clearly a different 'artist,' and unremoved flash painted over, giving an overall shiny Mr Blobby look. I had to re-paint much of both orders. I won't say what painting service it was because it was a long time ago and so hopefully their artists/standards have since improved. The second time was a couple of years back - a handful of 15mm to finish off an army I had lost interest in - painted by Kev whose work is illustrated in his blog/website (Fat Wally) and thankfully, what I saw there was what I got. Whilst I'm certain Kev painted his order, I suspect my other order was sub-contracted out which, is a bit cheeky to say the least, advertising their own skills but then using my money to meet a back-log and at the same time experiment with new 'artists.' 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

Speaking as a one man band, what you see on my photo's is what you'll get ;)

Guaranteed acrylics, as blowed if I can stand the faff of enamel thinners & brush cleaner even if the Mrs. would let me use it daily in the house anyway!

Bit rude indeed to fill in a back log or test out new painters or dissimilar techniques under an existing order. I mean, surely you'd want a similar finish/technique across a period/army?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

I have been following this thread with great interest, waiting to see the final outcome. I have to say I would never be able to accept such poor quality work, not even if they were free. I don't consider myself the greatest painter, but I do work very hard to insure a fully painted figures, and that colors are correct and not slopped where they don't belong and then left. I also do not subscribe to the 3 foot rule making it OK.

I have only had figures painted for me a couple of times, due to my work being so slow and needing some armies quickly to get into the brawl. But even then I ended up doing a near complete repaint myself.

To me, you have given them more than a fair opportunity to fix their work, and they did not. And as you mentioned earlier I would think that fixing figures from an unhappy customer, would take priority and have gotten them back to you post haste. In college and early career, when I had no money for toys, I painted 54 MM collector figures for my hobby money. I averaged between $100 USD and $150 USD per figure. However, I invested an average of 30+ hours painting time in a single figure, and never once had a customer complaint. If I had, you can be sure I would have jumped through hoops to fix it to the customer's satisfaction.

Regret you unhappy experience!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I'm only delayed on my present order for Sunjester by the need for the right shade of blue, which my supplier has promised (honest Sunjester, they are trying hard)!  :^o
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

The saga is over!

I have logged in this evening to see that Turbil miniatures has fully refunded my painting costs.   When I placed the issue with the Pay Pal Resolution team I did send Turbil Miniatures an explanation why I had gone down that route.  I have not received a reply and do not really expect too.

I am still puzzled as to how the same company and supposedly the same person  can send Womble and Sunjester perfectly reasonable figures and me a complete pile of crap!! but we shall probably never know

That leaves me with the semi-painted figures that I do not really know what to do with. I expect the majority will end up in the bin or on ebay being sold as part painted figures.

Thank you all for your support and helpful comments, especially Womble.

Orcs

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

Sorry to hear this outcome but at least you've got your money back for the painting. 

On the earlier point about pricing, this is an industry-wide problem that results in everything being artificially under-priced.  Whether it's a painting service, a retailer or a manufacturer, there's always someone charging a ridiculously low price for their product. Sometimes it's because it's a second income for them, sometimes because they're retired and have a decent pension, occasionally they're just not great at working out their costs and choosing a suitable price point.  The knock-on effect is that their competitors are then forced to try and match them on price as that's the major concern to most people.

As an example of two companies doing 28mm Naps: Company A has got business premises and a couple of staff, they pay professional sculptors to make the figures and have them produced by a casting company.  Company B is a one-man operation, run by a guy who retired from his day job.  He does his own sculpting and casting.  Company charges £1.75 per figure, Company B charges £1.00 per figure.  The average customer looking at both companies/products online sees the pricing difference and labels Company A as too expensive, even though Company A is likely making less money than Company B. 
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sandinista

Quote from: toxicpixie on 23 August 2017, 01:27:28 PM
Speaking as a one man band, what you see on my photo's is what you'll get ;)

Guaranteed acrylics, as blowed if I can stand the faff of enamel thinners & brush cleaner even if the Mrs. would let me use it daily in the house anyway!

Bit rude indeed to fill in a back log or test out new painters or dissimilar techniques under an existing order. I mean, surely you'd want a similar finish/technique across a period/army?!

I for one am happy to recommend Nathan as a painter, always professional, and having met him in May I can confirm he is a thoroughly nice chap too :-)

Cheers
Ian

toxicpixie

Thank you Ian :D

If you collect in person you get a coffee along with the mini's, and a chat ;)

I have to say I think I'm guilty of the under-pricing (as it's a side hobby for pun money) - but then, I never really know, and having conducted quite a lot of price comparisons I was still absolutely adrift for costing!

Nicely resolved, Orcs - are they strippable at all? I hate stripping, but sometimes you have to :/ Or is the £27 of lead better written off and eBay'd to fund some new ones...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Orcs

Quote from: toxicpixie on 24 August 2017, 09:21:46 AM

Nicely resolved, Orcs - are they strippable at all? I hate stripping, but sometimes you have to :/ Or is the £27 of lead better written off and eBay'd to fund some new ones...

I thnk I can probably save two of the 8 regiments fairly easily, as they have black horses so they do not have the thick black line round their necks ( its about 4 mil wide) that is supposed to be the horse furniture. they others need the whole horse repainted again and the cavalryman sorted out so are effectively a complete repaint.

The rest need the whole horse repainted again and the cavalryman sorted out so are effectively a complete repaint.  I will probably ebay for bare metal cost.  As I would rather cut my losses and spend my time painting than faff about stripping and repainting.

I am also looking to do a deal with Lemmy for his  WSS army. that has quite a bit of bare metal and a couple of packs of horse.

I will bear both you and Lemmy in mind when I next look to get stuff painted.

Terry37

Leon,

That is an interesting perspective of the industry. I know there are many who fall into the category I call "Cottage Industry", a term I've heard and used since the 60's.

With that said, I will return to a vendor who has exceptional service and is customer oriented, even if the cost is a little more. One can buy lead anywhere as there is an abundance of figures makers out there. But not all of them offer the service that truly results in a happy customer. And Leon, Pendraken is a leader in service and customer sat in my book!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

toxicpixie

Thanks for the mention, and that reminds me I need to crack on with d_guy's chaps ;)

Good luck with the eBay effort, I hope you recover a useful fund for new lead then!