Some warband questions

Started by gizmok24, 04 August 2017, 02:53:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmok24

04 August 2017, 02:53:14 PM Last Edit: 04 August 2017, 02:56:05 PM by gizmok24
Hey guys so I just wanted to ask some things about warband as I have really gotten into it and been playing it a lot :) so first I wanted to talk about the taurians and there army list recently a friend of mine has made himself a taurian army and going over the list we were looking at the minotaur warriors being in the core option even for there points cost the minotaur warriors seem really good and it doesn't seem like there is a need to take centaurs with how good they are as a core unit choice they are a crazy good unit and I thought it would be better to have them as an optional unit rather than core as they are really strong. would love to here from any taurian players and you guys about it. Also I wanted to ask if someone could tell me the calculations for how points costs are worked out in warband as though I love the range you guys do I think it would be awesome to add some more units to the armies here and there so would be awesome to know how you guys have done the points and finally with the lore of warband I am a huge fantasy fan and was wondering do any other warband players do much with the lore of the game or expand on it in anyway ? would like to know peoples ideas or things they might have done with it.Thanks again guys and hoping to get some mini pics up soon aswell as some games :D

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Good to hear you are enjoying it.
Taurians:
Are centaurs optional extras? I would say not.
Centaur Knights are really useful. Centaur archers with skirmishers and parting shot can hold up the main body of any other army for quite a while. In fact you could play them like parthians by having centaur archers as a Nomadic horse of shoot'n'scoot cacalry, backed up by fierce and powerful centaur knights!
Centaurs themselves with high mobility are great flankers, plus having a die of shooting means they can bounce most opponents after a round of combat if charged!
The issue with taurians is the Minotaur costs, if your army breaks on 250 points, that's basically your general and two more units. Fear, powerful and fierce is a brilliant combination, but you can take no other upgrades. They also suffer vs powerful and/or table edge rules. You are also paying many points for the 3D melee 2d move factors. While they are brutal, you can never have enough of them, which means your flanks will always be open to fast or reserve troops (which is where the centaurs suddenly become useful as flank counter punchers)!

https://madlemmey.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/two-warband-games-in-night.html?m=1
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

gizmok24

I meant Minotaur warriors as optional units rather than a core choice as the minotaur warriors as a core choice seem powerful given there good stats also thanks for the reply and the blogpost :)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No, as there is no minima/maxima in the lists, but 200 points of centaurs, as much as I love th m, wouldn't give you flexibility in the list between a brutal heavy hitter and the zippy shoots force.
Plus you could always take ogres, unicorns or rhinos for extra cheesy cheap striking power! 🦄
As to the points formula, it's known to few, understood by less, and complex and completely secret!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

DFlynSqrl

Hi Gizmok24!

Glad to hear you are enjoying Warband.  I have been having a blast with it myself.  I haven't played Taurians yet, so would certainly defer to Mad Lemmy's comments.  Also, like he said the points are a big mystery.

For you last question though about lore etc... I have been working on a campaign for my Dwaves vs. Undead.  Basically if anything to build a story and give a reason for their battles.  As I add more armies I plan to expand my world.  I'm hoping at some point to get some buddies involved in the campaign too.

gizmok24

Thanks for the replies as for knowing the points id like to know them as I was thinking of doing a ratmen army or adding a few things to existing armies so is there no way anyone can let me know ? also again would like to hear more about the lore people are doing.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

04 August 2017, 08:02:50 PM #6 Last Edit: 04 August 2017, 08:14:49 PM by mad lemmey
Rat men - watch this space - many people use the orc lists (for the moment)

Our Lore (Milton Keynes) has developed thus:
The High Elves led by Sir Perivale the Inert have decided to pick a fight with anyone who gets in their way, their domain is closely allied to the Ents of the Forests.
The Hugh Elves (like High Elves, but posher) are the bastions of purity and light from the Far North, survey their cousins from lofty cities.
The Free Goblins of Goblotopia have been united under the wheels of Big Jason's Hot Wheels, supported by Stumpy Jason and his wolf riders, and aided by the mystical 'Red Cloak', the only known Goblin not called Jason!
Her Imperial Majesty's realm of Dragon Men is an ancient Green Dragon, practically blind and guided by a shadowy figure, her realm is corrupted and decaying. Her agents raid other realms for the resources that her lands lacks. Her forces rarely use missile troops, preferring to get involved and shed blood.
A trio of young white dragons rule another Dragon Kingdom, advised by 'The Brass Duke', they are trying different tactics from their neighbouring realm, so far, the three from the same brrod have not succumbed to internecine brrod murder, and their land prospers. 
The military order of Dwarves crusade against those that they see as impure (basically anyone without a beard), their King watches while his warriors cleanse all.
From the central grasslands and bitter deserts, Barbarian Men swarm, despite being a technological backwater, they fight hard to protect their grazing rounds for their Bison and Mammoths.
In a pall of perpetual darkness, the Red Countess expects her human, wolf and undead minions to obey her every word, but a portion of her realm has fractured away, and other vampire lords eye her possessions jealously.
Warring with the Barbarians over grazing land are the Taurians, from their maze-fortresses they defend their pastures, closely allied to the Centaurs, the Minotaur Lord, Ky-Grox, exacts a heavy tribute from those who stray onto his lands.
From deep underground, the Drow Elves give their High Elf cousins a bad name, they raid and dart from hidden caverns, taking slaves and resources but avoiding large conflicts as they disguise their numbers.

However: The Dark Forests harbour many dark creatures, rumours abound of untold riches, but those who seek them seldom return, and those that do are often driven insane by what they see there, complaining of moving trees that shoot arrows from every direction, then thunder down upon the raiders.

Ithoriel

I'm not a Warband player, I still prefer Warmaster, but I've a couple of suggestions on fielding new units or armies.

One is to use an existing armylist with different figures.

For example, using the Orcs and Goblins list as GW type Skaven. You would have Verminlord not a Chieftain, a Grey Seer not a Shaman, Slaves with slings instead of Archers, Clanrats not Warriors, Clan Moulder Packmasters instead of Wolf Riders, Jezzail Teams not Bolt Shooters, Plague monks not Cave Horrors, a Warp-lightning Cannon not a Giant Crossbow, Giant Rats instead of Giant Spiders, Rat Ogres not Giants & Ogres, Gutter Runners instead of Scouts. I'm struggling with an alternative to Trolls but either Trolls themselves (I doubt they're fussy who they fight alongside!) or some Clan Moulder-spawned regenerating monstrosity of your own devising.

For individual units find a couple of units, you think would be similar, in the existing lists and use those to work out stats and a rough cost.

In my experience, points values are like ice-cream sundaes, best served up with a generous helping of fudge :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Chieftain

Hi gizmok24, glad you're enjoying Warband!

Taurians as core or optional?

You're correct to say that Taurian units are solid.  However, you may find that having more than a couple of them is probably too much, especially if you play scenarios.  You'll often want units with different abilities, and you may find that having fewer than 9-10 units and being outnumbered can be a challenge.   ;)

They're in the core choice because, well, its their army!  But also, because it means they're not limited to 40% (200pts), so if you wanted you could have more than 4. 

Points calculator.

We've get asked this a lot...   8)

Game lore

Warband was written with a deliberately vague an undeveloped "background" so that players can make their own worlds.

On another point, I think we'd love to see some pictures or videos of your games.   :D
Official Guru of our Warband rules!

gizmok24

04 August 2017, 10:15:27 PM #9 Last Edit: 04 August 2017, 11:01:49 PM by gizmok24
Thanks for the awesome lore post :) The way the points are done are like the one ring keep them secret keep them safe :D  and do you guys make a map for a world you build for your warband armies? as I like the idea of making a world and filling out with the lore from the armies of warband and with the Taurians is mostly being curious about the minotaur warriors as I wanted to know what everyone thought of the army list and the miotaur warriors as they are an awesome unit as a core choice rather than an optional army choice and I like hearing from other warband players about what they think.

Ithoriel

For giant dinosaurs in a Lizardman army I'd look for units that have similar attributes to the way I imagine the giant dinosaur would be.

For example, use the stats for the Mammoth in the barbarian army. They're both big and frightening and both have thick hides for protection.

If your dinosaur has a howdah full of archers on it's back and you want them to shoot at things then perhaps take the stats for the Fire Elementals, which are nearly identical to the Mammoth except it can shoot and has better morale. Swap the Skirmish ability for Fierce - I can't imagine a big dinosaur dancing out of the way of it's opponents! Maybe drop it's Morale down to 5 like the Mammoth and drop the points to say 100. That's not going to be too far away from the right stats and points cost.

That make sense?

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jean1951

Quote from: gizmok24 on 04 August 2017, 02:53:14 PM
Hey guys so I just wanted to ask some things about warband as I have really gotten into it and been playing it a lot :) so first I wanted to talk about the taurians and there army list recently a friend of mine has made himself a taurian army and going over the list we were looking at the minotaur warriors being in the core option even for there points cost the minotaur warriors seem really good and it doesn't seem like there is a need to take centaurs with how good they are as a core unit choice they are a crazy good unit and I thought it would be better to have them as an optional unit rather than core as they are really strong. would love to here from any taurian players and you guys about it. Also I wanted to ask if someone could tell me the calculations for how points costs are worked out in warband as though I love the range you guys do I think it would be awesome to add some more units to the armies here and there so would be awesome to know how you guys have done the points and finally with the lore of warband I am a huge fantasy fan and was wondering do any other warband players do much with the lore of the game or expand on it in anyway ? would like to know peoples ideas or things they might have done with it.Thanks again guys and hoping to get some mini pics up soon aswell as some games :D
Hello,
I agree with you placing the minotaur as an optional unit.  I would like to see goat men and other beasties as warrior units. :d

Jean

ErHo

+1 internet point for "the Brass Duke" possible nod to Duke Ellington.
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Ithoriel

I'd assumed it was a nod to Moorcock's Count Brass but you could well be right ErHo

Duke Speedy of Leighton