LoA cuirassiers w helmet - how to paint?

Started by Aksu, 03 August 2017, 07:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aksu

Hullo,
I have quite a few LOA31 Cuirassiers with helmets, and I ran into a silly problem - I am not quite sure what to paint these as, to go with or more likely against my Louis XIV French. It seems the Dutch had floppy hats for their cavalry. So, any ideas who these jolly good looking lobsterheads could be?
Cheers,
Aksu

urbancohort

Hi Aksu: My area of research is the late Stuart armies of England. In the British armies it appears that virtually any troops who rode horses might wear helmets - cavalry OR dragoons, at that time, although whether they did seems to depend on personal whim very much and how much time they had to get equipped.

Enclosed is a picture of a Bavarian Curaissier officer (albeit very slightly later in 1700)
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

iain1704

Hi Aksu

As has been stated you can use these for Bavarian Cuirassiers (Gun Metal colour) - you can also use these for Franconian or Swabian Horse too.

As Urbancohort said armour (including Lobsters) where issued by the Tower Armouries to the English Horse (not dragoons) this was done up to the end of the Nine years war - although these do not appear to have been worn in the field.

Finally you have the cavalry of the Austrian Army who wear black armour and lobsters so you have various options

kind regards

Iain

Aksu

Thank you gents, excellent. The Austrians and Bavarians are quite easy to find info on, so I'll start with those. Hopefully I can post a pic of the first 12 figure unit this weekend.
Cheers,
Aksu

holdfast

Which weekend? There appear to be 52 of them.

Aksu