WTK Scots and plus an Irish

Started by SV52, 03 August 2017, 02:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

Expanding existing armies.  Ran out of steam with two cavalry regiments still to go, same old mistake; trying to do too many at once. So in the meantime while I shamble off to do something different:

For the Covenant:

For Montrose and the King:

No pretence to historical accuracy, my own artistic license  ;)
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Roy

They look blooming well good  :-bd  =D> :-bd
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

I like them SV52 as they serve the purpose of getting enough units together to actually play a game. The sometime forgotten advantage of 10mm is to base them like 28mm ( figures to base) and gain a near tripling of ground scale - bigger battles in smaller spaces.

As to historical accuracy, there is a good deal of dogma surrounding how this time and place should be done. I think there is still a great deal of room for interpretation and yours convey a decent "look and feel" which to me at least is the point. So,  :-bd

Hope you'll' get back to the horse.  :)

You may have mentioned before but do you have a specific rules set in mind?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

sunjester

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

Many thanks for the replies comrades.

de Guy: A man after my own heart.  I try to limit the numbers on figures, these are on 40mmx20mm and 40mmx30mm bases.  Once the horse are done the army will have 7 foot, 4 horse, 1 dragoon base and three guns (plenty to move around and keep track of for a solo gamer).  The Montrose crowd are roughly similar but sparser numbers.  Rules not yet defined but 'One Hour Wargames' pike and shot on hex terrain the most likely

The boys at Pendraken towers were good enough to let me have a non-standard order for these fellas  8)

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

d_Guy

:)

I play solo also.

FWIW - I did a variant on One Hour Games for Musket and Pike (Which includes a couple of great ideas from Norm Smith) with Montrose's campaign specifically in mind. A PDF of the current version can be found on my blog here:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/homebrew-rules-empty/one-hour-wargames/

It's worth mentioning to all again that the 30 generic scenarios provided in Neil Thomas's book are more than worth the purchase price alone.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

Quote from: d_Guy on 03 August 2017, 08:17:40 PM
:)

I play solo also.

FWIW - I did a variant on One Hour Games for Musket and Pike (Which includes a couple of great ideas from Norm Smith) with Montrose's campaign specifically in mind. A PDF of the current version can be found on my blog here:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/homebrew-rules-empty/one-hour-wargames/

It's worth mentioning to all again that the 30 generic scenarios provided in Neil Thomas's book are more than worth the purchase price alone.

That makes interesting reading, more or less where I was going too.  Unsure about including artillery though; as Mr Thomas says, it was so ineffective as to not be worth bothering with. Especially true in the Scottish case as the ordnance was of light calibre and poor quality (frame guns for example).  It does look good on the table though...

I'll get the horse done and, together some simple scenery and have a game.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

SV52

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

FierceKitty

What is WTK? Much as I favour "War of the Kilts", I fear I'm wrong there.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Quote from: SV52 on 03 August 2017, 09:06:36 PM
 It does look good on the table though...
Yup!  :)

For game purposes I think of the guns that I substituted in as the heavier field guns, Sakers and that sort. I added them to mostly function as an impediment  to the side that gets them! If you are doing a scenario where you have to get some or all your force across the board and you draw one or two of the beasts things get very problematic (If you decide to fire them they can no longer move!). Very unhandy.  :)

Incidentally, I rationalized their absence in the original rules by figuring that the light field guns (like the frame guns you mentioned) are simply folded into the offense fire of the foot.

Quote from: FierceKitty on 04 August 2017, 02:14:09 AM
What is WTK? Much as I favour "War of the Kilts", I fear I'm wrong there.
I want to know also, but would embrace War of the Kilts as well.

Fenton

Are we talking about the Bishops War?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

paulr

WTK Wars of the Three Kingdoms; England, Scotland, Ireland 1639 - 1651 I believe
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!