Japanese Lists query for everyone

Started by Leon, 01 August 2017, 06:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

In the original BKC-II, there was only a single Japanese army list, labelled as Japanese Army - Far East, July '37 - August '45.

For BKC-III, this was expanded to provide 6 Japanese army lists:
China: July 1937 - Sept '45
French Indo-China: - Sept '40 - Jul '41
SW Pacific: Dec '41 - Aug '45
SE Asia: Dec '41 - Jul '45
Iwo Jima: Feb '45 - Mar '45
Okinawa: Apr '45 - Jun '45

So the question is, if we're reverting back to the BKC-II army lists, are folks happy to go back to a single Japanese list?  Or do you want us to try and keep all 6 lists using the stats from BKC-II?  Or a compromise where we combine some of the BKC-III lists to make 2 or 3 new lists, each covering a wider range?

Let us know what you'd prefer and we can get these final army lists finished off and move onto the rules revisions.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

T13A

T13A Out!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

How about 'Islands', 'To India' and ' Manchuria'?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Orcs

One works for me, as I did not think the kit varied that much, but I am far from an expert on the Japanese.  Perhaps Lemmy's idea is a good one.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

slugbalancer

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dr Dave

Kiwidave

Quote from: Orcs on 01 August 2017, 11:01:47 PM
One works for me, as I did not think the kit varied that much, but I am far from an expert on the Japanese.  Perhaps Lemmy's idea is a good one.

+1

Steve J

One list works for me, but I can see the sense in Lemmey's suggestion.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

I'd suggest 2 lists, a "Mainforce" one covering  all the sectors on the main land and a generalised Island Garrison list.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sandinista

Ithoriel

I'd have thought that one list would do it. If it were to be split I'd suggest that it makes more sense to have an early and a late list to reflect the degradation of their forces over time as the Allied naval blockade took effect.

I suppose, to be fair, there are some local differences. The Kantogun (aka Kwantung Army) for example had access to more conscript class troops from the Manchukuo Imperial Army than island garrisons had but as 1st General Army it also had a higher number of veterans. It also had a larger number of tanks. Still can't help feeling that selecting from the existing list lets you model any of the variations.

I would like to see non-fanatic conscripts to represent the local forces like the Manchukuo Imperial Army (a rabble of Han, Manchu, White Russians, Mongols and Koreans)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

williamb

The one list would work for all theaters.   As noted in BKC2 tanks were not used in mass even though one of the two armored divisions was in 'China.  IRRC the other was in the Philiippines.    The list also notes that they use fanatical doctrine though I haven't located the rules for that in the BKC2 book.   I think they are in Future War Commander, but would have to check.  There was a large divide between officers and men.   There was one instance during the island fighting where a unit of Japanese infantry had infiltrated and cut off a supply road.   When the Americans came to clear the roadway they found the unit had committed suicide because their officers had died allowing  the road to be cleared without a fight.

Roy

In the BKC-Errata .pdf it has this for the Japanese Fanatical tactical doctrine:

Page 112-113. Japanese Army
Change the cost of Medium Tank Unit (Type 1 Chi-He) to 75 points.
Fanatical tactical doctrine is as follows:
• 25cm initiative distance
• units may fall-back any distance without being knocked-out
• do not roll for fall-back when dug-in
• add one to the breakpoint per 1000 points
• HQs can only issue orders to units in their own formation

Hope this helps :)
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"