Korea - send in the Commandos ! Help needed

Started by Sunray, 01 August 2017, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Fielder

Putties in Bosnia!! Was that the 1798 campaign with Tricorns and smootbores?

BTW when are 41 Commando going to be ready? Me want.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Sunray

Quote from: holdfast on 20 August 2017, 06:57:47 PM
As a point of interest I would like to know which unit was still wearing them with putties  in Bosnia ?

There were some rogue elements in HQ SFOR who wore them. Mollinary was there and can confirm!

Makes sense, they had a fiercely guarded reputation for not getting out much. 

Sunray

24 August 2017, 06:33:25 PM #32 Last Edit: 24 August 2017, 06:38:22 PM by Sunray
Quote from: Dave Fielder on 24 August 2017, 03:35:41 PM

BTW when are 41 Commando going to be ready? Me want.

Patience. Pendraken have outsourced the making of the Royals to a place called Lympstone.  I have instructed Leon to add some genuine mud from the River Ex - plus blood swat and tears gleaned from the Bottom Field (Google it you maggots) into the mould.

In the Royals they call it the "Ex Factor"  8)

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dave Fielder

Ah, the smell of the River Exe mud ... it keeps my skin young looking.

Sunray

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 02 December 2017, 11:08:10 PM
Ah, the smell of the River Exe mud ... it keeps my skin young looking.

Yeah - they called it the Exe Factor  :)

Steve J

Oh deary me Sunray!

Recorded a PBS 2 part documentary on the Battle of Choisin last night. Started watching it today and so far loads of great footage; Marines in winter gear with camo helmets and rucksack covers, as well as Marines looking as if they'd just landed on a Japanese held island in WWII.

Sunray

Quote from: Steve J on 03 December 2017, 04:31:00 PM
Oh deary me Sunray!

Recorded a PBS 2 part documentary on the Battle of Choisin last night. Started watching it today and so far loads of great footage; Marines in winter gear with camo helmets and rucksack covers, as well as Marines looking as if they'd just landed on a Japanese held island in WWII.

Interesting. I served with some "old hands" who had been in Korea Nov 1950 when the Artic conditions began. Caught out the temperate clad UN forces.

Hungham was the American version of Dunkirk.   Might well offer scenarios  that transfer well to table top ?

We need a dedicated set of BKC sub rules for Korea.

Poggle

Interesting. My late father in law was one of the Frozen Chosin veterans. He took a mg burst across the legs, invalided out at the tender age of nineteen. 😞

John Cook

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 01 August 2017, 05:56:53 PM

This one?

Techno/Phil

This is the action pose of a 41 Commando R/O I was talking to you and Leon about.     Korea apart, years and years of Proxy applications for early NATO types and Third World.

I have sent you the image of the Browning .30 being waist fired RAMBO style.

Cheers

James

Sunray

I have just noticed the Colt holster-  Hadn't appreciated that even small arms like the .45 Colt 1911 was the full American deal for 41 Commando.

The only British kit they had was their Green Berets.   

Dave Fielder

The only kit they need is the Commando Green Beret ...