Pendraken Infantry Compatible with Timecast Cold War Troops?

Started by Mako, 30 July 2017, 06:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Just curious to know how the new Timecast range of troops for the Cold War (Soviets and British) match up with the Pendraken Modern Minis - Vietnam, and Falklands Argies and Brits?

Looking for opinions and/or comparisons as to height and heft.  Would love to see some pics, if anyone's got those to share, but general, verbal comparisons will be useful too.

I'm using the Argentines for early West Germans, and/or US troops right now, for Cold War Europe.

Sunray

I have purchased a few Time Cast Brits.  They are a lot chunkier than say Pendraken Falklands. However the Soviet support weapons - especially the 120mm mortar is scaled to 1/144 to match the AFVs and APCs.  This means it is dwarfed by the large figures. 

By comparison, I picked up a few Irregular Miniatures bushwar , especially "command" - neat figures in caps and one in a beret that fits well with Phil's Falklands sculpts.

Now Irregular can suffer from quality control in terms of heads, but the Soviet style helmet types are the best of the bunch.   I am gaming them with Pendraken Vietnam Aussies/Indo China range - some of the bush hat IR figures even on the same base.   Pics will follow.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Just ordered Timecast Soviet infantry, will report when they arrive. They will go up against my Falklands Brits...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

howayman

Strangely i looked at some Timecast soviet infantry on Saturday.
Lovely figures a lot more substantial (fatter) than the Pendraken Falklands figures.
Will be ordering some soon to oppose my Falkland Brits. Only downside is that the packs contain prone figures, the Lmg is also prone. Not a fan of prone figures.
Had a look at the BTR60 hull and the BMP at the same time, very nice.
Hoping to see the Chieftain and 432 soon.

Mako

Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to reports, especially since I need some more RPG-7 troops for each of my Soviet bases.

I love the prone figs, since it's hard to fire a MG accurately standing up.  Would love to see more prone riflemen as well, from all manufacturers, since defenders rarely stand up in the open, when being attacked by the enemy.

Glad to see they're offering some casualties too, since I'd rather use those than unsightly chits to denote morale, and other conditions of squads and fire teams.

That mortar does look rather small, for a 120mm.  Looks more like an 81/82mm to me.  Thought the 120mm was much taller, and usually had wheels.

My major complaint from the Time cast pics are that the RPK-74 gunner's weapon seems overly large, and his head seems overly small (shockingly so, in the latter case, probably exacerbated by the size of his gun - my guess is the head was sculpted separately, and then attached, which I hate when sculptors do that, since that rarely works to enhance the look of the minis).

Also, the middle guy in the command pack at the top of the photos for the Soviet infantry range also seems to be suffering from a smallish head, or at least the skinny neck syndrome.  Hard to tell from the photo though, since the image is so small - hope it's more an issue with the resolution of the photo, and not the mini.