Square Bashing the FPW

Started by Leman, 28 July 2017, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Having completed sufficient rebases and paintings of my 10mm FPW, I have decided to have a solo go at Walter Schnaffs, the FPW adaptation of Square Bashing. Firstly I built two forces, representing equal point divisions, then worked through the pre-battle phase and events. This resulted in the Prussians attacking with the strategic focus of breaking through the French line. The defending French meanwhile had lost more than half their troops to the reserves, and a few bases had permanently disappeared. The Prussians opened the battle with a successful barrage asset on an occupied wood within grabbing distance of a small knoll (objective). This was followed by a general advance, ignoring terrain as the pre-battle event of doing so during the first move had been achieved. Some photos to illustrate this opening - note the mitrailleuse deployed in the grand manor (objective) and the main Prussian thrust on the French left flank:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Great stuff, Andy.

Cheers - Phil

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Shedman

Good one

I tried SB using the the RJW lists

I went through the pre-battle phase 20 times and every time the Russians were the attackers by a huge margin

lowlylowlycook

Minis are very nice.
Terrain is very nice.
The paper building look very nice.

Very nice indeed.

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Looks fantastic Leman

Like your flexible depiction of the built up areas - a base "tile" and then individually mounted buildings - really good idea.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Leman

Thanks everyone; the French have just launched their one and only barrage of the battle with mixed success. They overshot the infantry target, instead hitting and damaging  two Prussian batteries, then they were able to bring on a reserve unit of infantry, only to then roll a 1 for the game count down. For any real chance they need to roll 5s or 6s act this point.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

Simply delightful. Are they 4" squares?

sunjester

Norm

I have been back looking at that table and find it quite inspiring, I am going to have a dabble!

Westmarcher

Like it, Andy.  :-bd  Lots of stuff to dwell on. Where did you get the town / BUA tiles? I'm currently using square cork tiles but would like to upgrade these.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

DFlynSqrl

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!