Square Bashing the FPW

Started by Leman, 28 July 2017, 08:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Some responses:

1. The cloth is from Simon Millar's Big Red Bat shop. It is 5'x3' and divided into 6" squares. The cloth is actually made by Deep Cut Studios in Lithuania, but Simon imports several sizes with different size squares. I like the cloths so much that I bought another of a different design 6'x4', also with 6" squares, that I have used for larger battles and with larger and smaller scale figures.

2. The terrain tiles are produced by Deep Cut in mouse mat material. These are illustrated on the website as coming in 8" squares, however they run a custom order service, so I requested 6"x12" tiles for use with Square Bashing. Worth it for me as I now play FPW, RJW, 1914, RCW and RPW and will be hoping to do Boer War as well. Deep Cut have supplied other players with SB terrain tiles so are familiar with that request.

3. The buildings are a mix of Peter Dennis card, Irregular Miniatures metal, Time Cast and Total Battle Miniatures resin. All are 6mm scale. Other terrain is S and A Scenics trees, hills and a smaller BUA tile in MDF. Roads are rubber, produced about 25 years ago by Old Glory and explosions by Gale Force 9.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

d_Guy

Very stylish and nicely put together, Leman. Thanks for the list of the resources you provided.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Moving on from a solo try out, where I virtually forced the French into defence, causing them to lose too many units to start with, I had my first game against a live opponent today. Although the French were still the defenders, the attack points difference was not so large, so they hung on to more troops on table and had some good luck with reserves coming on as well. Furthermore the Prussians had a lot less luck with their corps artillery (off-table) bombardment - we concluded that the ground was soft so no damage was caused to the French and the barrage asset was used up. This resulted in the French left remaining strong and throwing back a determined Prussian assault which had looked certain to succeed - 14 dice v 5 dice. The French had better luck both in inflicting and saving casualties. The Prussian cavalry charge downhill met with better success.

From the previous battle - The French artillery overshoot barrage which had unintended consequences:

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

it looks cracking good.
i like the top-down trees on the wood template and how you've combined with model trees.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Techno

Leman

In the second game, which has just started, the French are the defenders again. This time, however, they have elected to have a fort:

In reality the fort covers the whole of the BUA.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Subedai

Nice looking game. Interesting read as well.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Roy

that looks great. really nicely put together.

so when are you going to demo' FPW Sq.Bashing at Battleground?  :)

Leman

Hi Roy 2018 is a possibility, once I've spent some money on the house and then see where I stand financially. It would involve trains and overnight accommodation.

Will - I was actually thinking of the smaller outer ring forts around Paris in this scenario, September 1870 when the army still bore a resemblance to the Imperial forces.

Roy

:)

I was only having you on Leman. Though I am conscious of the costs and hardships involved in 'doing' the shows.

Stu asked if I'd come on board the Colonel Bill's show trade staff, but the long hours and heavy travel (not to mention the fact they sometimes have to miss meals) meant that I had to decline the job offer. And the chaps I know who put on games at Newark have to over-night it, and the costs far outweigh any benefit of recognition to my mind.

Leman

Once the costs are sorted the enjoyment of the events outweighs them, but when you're on a pension penury constantly beckons unless you plan ahead with some self-discipline. Over the next 6 months I've got a family wedding in Greenwich, Colours at Newbury , where I'm running a WWII participation game (yes, I know, even Mr. pre-1925 has to drop the guise from time to time), another participation at Abingdon and a walking holiday in Northumberland, plus some building work and a new kitchen.