Spicheren revisited

Started by Leman, 12 September 2017, 09:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Love the set up!

When I looked at this post FSN had been the last poster, and I was not aware of the Spicheren battle. So seeing FSN and   Spicheren in the same post I put 2 and 2 together and getting 6.5 I assumed this was some form of deviance Nobby was into!  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

ErHo

Very cool!   I could almost smell the black powder...

Wait, nope thats me... BRB taking a shower
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Quote from: fsn on 12 September 2017, 07:34:58 PM
Not really my thing, but very impressive!
There is a big American tank on the actual Spicheren battlefield (a Chaffee I have been informed), as well as some WWII German army graves.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

The second half of the second revisit to Spicheren took place this afternoon. The French snatched a dramatic win right at the end of move 8, although the Prussians did manage to seize and hold Forbach, thus depriving (historically) the French of many of the supplies prepared for the invasion of Germany. I had to say that as I was commanding the Prussians.

Frossard did manage to make the most of his position magnifique, cramming thousands of men on the edge of the ridge overlooking the Forbach valley and destroying completely three strong Prussian units with combined Chassepot and artillery fire.

However the Prussians had sent a very strong unit up into the St.Arnual woods, which would have put them in the rear of the aforementioned French, but Frossard had quickly despatched troops to counter that move.

A right old dingdong ensued with the Prussians finally being ejected from that victory position in move 8. Meanwhile the French cavalry attempted to outflank the Prussian gun line on the Drill Ground, but were countercharged by the Prussian hussars, thus saving the guns.

The Prussians who had entered the board west of Schoneck found passing through the wood quite slow work, at one point rolling snake eyes for a complete standstill. They launched a charge in move 7, but were thrown back by Chassepot fire

They tried again in move 8, having recovered their order and fought their way into and then held Forbach as the last gasp of the game. However,
having lost the Pfaffen Wood, what could have been a draw became a French victory.

Steve J

Sounds a hard fought battle. Not sure when I'll get to play BBB again, or even 1871 for that matter :(

Leman

1871 looks like it could be a Christmas affair for me. My next outing is Froeschwiller, again twice with two different opponents, then I shall be working on the 10mm Schleswig-Holsteiners and their Hanoverian allies, whilst playing some more 3mm ACW and possibly some Basic Impetus 2.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great looking game. So nice to see a French win!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Cracking sounding game! Vive Napoleon!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

paulr

A good looking game, hard fought :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Leman

Hello again Roy. Next time out is Froeshwiller. My job to set the table, but troops will be Mike's 10mm FPW.