Andy Mac / Dazza Bases

Started by KingofStones, 28 July 2017, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingofStones

Does anyone know what thickness the bases are in the AWI shop images painted by Andy Mac, or Dazza's photo thread are? I've been looking around but can't seem to find that. I am looking at starting a project and trying to decide between 1mm and 2mm MDF, and would really appreciate the info if anyone has it. Thanks very much!

Leman

The standard thickness of Pendraken MDF is 2mm. I assume the figures would have been based on Pendraken bases. Welcome to the forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KingofStones

Thanks! Are they for sure Pendraken bases? Some of them look quite small (the ones with individual soldiers) but I suppose they could be the small 15mm square. It almost looks like a variety of 1mm/2mm in different pictures, some look pretty thin considering the scale, but I suppose that could be the dirt or paint distorting the way the edge looks. They do have square corners like the Pendraken bases. Thanks for the help and warm welcome!

Ithoriel

28 July 2017, 09:22:47 AM #3 Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 09:24:47 AM by Ithoriel
Welcome to the forum KingofStones!

In my experience, the choice for mdf bases is usually between 2mm or 3mm.

Personally I use 2mm and I'd assume Andy Mac and Dazza are doing the same from the look of the figures.

I think 1mm MDF would be quite fragile if you're planning on gaming with them, less of a problem if you're a painter rather than a gamer and they will be static displays.

Best of luck with the project. This is a forum that likes pictures <hint, hint> :)

<edit> For info, Pendraken will do custom MDF shapes and sizes. Leon has kindly provided some very strange shapes for me!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Norm

Can you even get 1mm MDF?

I used to use artists poster board, but now use 2mm for everything.

KingofStones

28 July 2017, 09:48:45 AM #5 Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 09:50:23 AM by KingofStones
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the insight! Yeah I have heard 1mm might be fragile, I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm leaning toward 2mm but wanted to see what those images were using since they look so good and minimal.

I was looking at the bases from Sarissa Precision just because they have rounded corners (they do 1-3mm in different materials), but I'll keep that tip about the custom cuts in mind as well! Thanks very much again, and I'll happily oblige on images once I get some units painted. Going to do a mix of AWI/ACW tests before committing to larger armies so I'll need the feedback!

Leon

28 July 2017, 01:51:30 PM #6 Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 01:59:32 PM by Leon
The AWI figures in the website images are based on plasticard, Andy used to do that himself I believe, I don't think they were bought in?

The Naps and SYW ones are all based on 10x10mm squares which we supplied in our standard 2mm MDF.

If you need custom sizes though, that's no bother at all, we can cut any size you need as well as doing rounded corners.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

A very warm welcome to the madhouse, KOS.

Cheers - Phil

Orcs

Hi the 1mm base supplied by Sarrissa us greyboard, or card

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

KingofStones

Awesome! Thanks again everyone for incredible info and the warm welcome!

Leman

Re. the very small bases, I use the Pendraken 15mm circular bases for individually mounted infantry.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Dazza

I have it on very good information, that they are 2mm ply and laser cut :)

If you need any other information, drop me a message, it may take a few days due to work to answer, but I will get back to you.

Regards,

Dazza
Dazza
Dazza's 10mm Miniature Armies : http://www.ukstrike.co.uk
" AWI, Colonial, WW2 & Vietnam"

AWI Photos : https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Never argue with an idiot; He'll drag you down to his level and beat you by experience.