Share Your Study

Started by Terry37, 28 July 2017, 03:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DFlynSqrl

I'll play along.  :)  Since we don't have any kids, we decided to use our master bedroom as our office and use one of the smaller rooms as our bedroom.  Who wants such a large room for spending so little time in there?  Anyway, so I get a portion for my hobby stuff.  Only requirement was it had to be "classy" looking, so she picked the furniture.  My paint desk is next to a cabinet that has all my paint brushes, paints, tools, etc.  I have them all on trays or containers so I can take out what I need.  It sounds tedious, but after I got my system it only take me a couple of minutes to have it all setup and painting.  Maps of Antietam and Gettysburg on the wall for inspiration.

Then I have a display for my "show off" miniatures.  It ranges from 10mm to 54mm.  Everything else is boxed up in a closet and along with my lead pile.  And then I have a bookshelf of game rules, historical references, etc.

The real truth of the matter though is I'm slowly being overran by the play area of our cats Freya, Arwen, and Porthos.  I think this might be sneaky plot of my wife's to slowly move me to the garage.  Crazy cat people we are...

Terry37

Great Looking Room FlngSqrl! Glad you shared it!  Yes, it does seem like the cats also have a claim on the room as well.

My pursuit of a dedicated study started back in the early 70's when I got a bookcase with three shelves for my books and stuff. I still have that bookcase, which is now in the closet holding rule books, more uniform books, etc. Oh, and that book case had to share the room we used for watching TV/the den as we only had a 2 bedroom apartment at the time.

Some one thought my current study is a large room, but it's not really - being 13 x 14 is all. Before we downsized I had a much larger room about 18 x 22. That room had a gaming table a library table, a love seat, the two chairs I have now, and many more bookcases. I don't miss it though because I had to clean it, but I try to keep my study tidy - my painting room, a 6 x 8 room, not so much so!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Terry37

Thought I would share what happens when you decide to remove the carpeting the builder put in, because it is so cheap all it does is buckle, with hardwood to match the rest of the house. First step was moving everything but the larger furniture pieces out of the room - UGH! Took me two days!!!

It went from this

To this

And this

So they could do this

To result in this....and I am so happy with the results. Bottom line, it was worth it, but let's not do it again anytime soon please! Took 8 days to put it all back - well all except two large boxes of books that are going!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Leman

I might throw up some pictures in about 6 months, but decorating at the mo. My study is not my wargames room, but it is where I keep a lot of my history books.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Oh, please do as I'd love to see it.  just please don't call it a "man cave" as that is way to redneck for me!

Terry

Leman

Oh dear, I'll have to take down my sign, spit out my chewing tobacco and douse the fiery cross.  :-[
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Terry37

Yep, that's a good start, and be sure to remove all of the non-working vehicles scattered around your front yard....or you can keep all of that stuff but just please don't call it a man cave.

Terry

Subedai

My cellar -which Ma Subs has named Narnia becasue you have to get past the hanging coats to get down the stairs- is my study, my library, my painting and building area, my wargames room and storeroom. In it I have approx 400 boks on 23 bookshelves, a painting table, a writing desk for my computer, 4 under dsk office filing cabinets for rules and research, two 4-draw cupboards for terrain and 'stuff', a 4' tall unit with two doors that holds all my chaps. an overcrowded shelf with way more than 250 dvd's on and about the same in cd's on 2x7 tier stands. Plus, a drop leaf dining table that I use for making my buildings on or writing stuff freehand. When both leaves are up it also doubles up as my wargames table. Some might see cluttered, I see organised chaos.

All that in a 13'x13' room.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Terry37

Subedai, sounds awesome! Please share some pictures with us!!!

Terry

Subedai

My version of Narnia.

Looking into the room from the bottom of the stairs. Computer desk is on the right, on the screen can be seen a background of the Chinggis Qan metal statue in Mongolia. painting desk is on the left. Top of pic are some of my dvd's.

My 10, 15 and 25mm figures and some terrain in this storage unit. Just out of shot at the bottom are all my 6mm armies stored in A4 rigid plastic boxes.

To the right of my computer desk is the major part of my library with the filing cabinets underneath. the stairs up are just to the right.

Moving on to the right there are the stairs up, more books and the top of my drop-leaf table. The big picture on the left is of Prince Rupert and his brother Maurice that I found in an antique store in Leek, Staffordshire. At the bottom of the stairs is a framed picture of Bobby Moore (from West Ham United FC) along with his signature next to it. (Christmas prezzie from a friend).

On the right of the last picture is a small cubby-hole that goes around behind the chimney breast and under the stairs. In there is a small cupboard and my four tier plastic drawer set for my unpainted chaps.
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Aksu

I must admit I envy a man who has a proper study, a place to himself. In our studio I am banished to the dark and dingy corner, and the missus has all the light and the cool tools, which I am not allowed to touch. Well, I do sneak up and use the anvil every now and then.
Cheers,
Aksu

Orcs

Quote from: Aksu on 05 April 2018, 07:01:29 PM
I must admit I envy a man who has a proper study, a place to himself. In our studio I am banished to the dark and dingy corner, and the missus has all the light and the cool tools, which I am not allowed to touch. Well, I do sneak up and use the anvil every now and then.
Cheers,
Aksu

Some very interesting tools to play with. What's your missus hobby.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

FierceKitty

Quote from: Orcs on 05 April 2018, 07:36:54 PM
   What's your missus' hobby?

When women - not my wife, who shares my views, Lord love her - remark on the expense of male hobbies, I quietly remark that kids, which most women want for reasons no more rational, cost immeasurably more than any other hobby available to the ordinary citizen.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

John Cook

Quote from: Aksu on 05 April 2018, 07:01:29 PM
Cheers,
Aksu

Dump her  :D

FierceKitty

Whom? A woman who regularly works out at an anvil might be risky to annoy.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.