M4 Sherman (Early US?)

Started by Sojka, 26 July 2017, 01:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojka

Hello.

I play primarily US forces, and I like mid war as well as late. I was wondering, do Pendraken make a M4 (the first version) with the welded or composite hull? I especially want to focus on Italy for a while; it seems very under represented in gaming! The lion's share of Shermans in US use, even well after Normandy, were M4s and M4A1s. Pendraken has some lovely M4A1s, but I wondered if there are, or are plans for, M4 versions?

Thank you!

Sojka

Wulf

Heh, never noticed that, every flavour of M4 except... the M4...  :)

Incidentally, PD, was MDV28 M51 'Suer' Sherman meant to be the 'Super' Sherman? Suet Sherman? Sewer Sherman?

Ithoriel

Sumer Sherman - the version towed by wild asses :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Dave

Quote from: Sojka on 26 July 2017, 01:24:53 PM
Hello.

I play primarily US forces, and I like mid war as well as late. I was wondering, do Pendraken make a M4 (the first version) with the welded or composite hull? I especially want to focus on Italy for a while; it seems very under represented in gaming! The lion's share of Shermans in US use, even well after Normandy, were M4s and M4A1s. Pendraken has some lovely M4A1s, but I wondered if there are, or are plans for, M4 versions?

Thank you!

Sojka

The Sherman's shipped by the US for the desert,  they shipped M4A1 codes BRV13 to 15 and M4A2 codes BRV16 to 17.

Dave

OldenBUA

26 July 2017, 10:02:00 PM #4 Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 10:13:23 PM by OldenBUA
Yes, M4A1 for the British in the desert. M4A2 shipped as lend lease, or used by the US marines.

But the request is for the M4, as used by the Americans from operation Torch until the end of the war. Later on replacement M4A3 tanks were preferred, but the M4 (and M4A1) were used until the end of the war.

I think several of them are/were at the Overloon museum? Probably quite familiar to the original poster.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Sojka

Quote from: OldenBUA on 26 July 2017, 10:02:00 PM
Yes, M4A1 for the British in the desert. M4A2 shipped as lend lease, or used by the US marines.

But the request is for the M4, as used by the Americans from operation Torch until the end of the war. Later on replacement M4A3 tanks were preferred, but the M4 (and M4A1) were used until the end of the war.

I think several of them are/were at the Overloon museum? Probably quite familiar to the original poster.

Overloon does have at least one M4, and I believe they have several. The monument outside the museum is an M4A1 also. I haven't been in a while. Hmm, I know what I should do this weekend! I only live perhaps 60 km from there. But yes, odd that there's all marks of Sherman but this one. Not a big deal, just odd.

Dave

Quote from: OldenBUA on 26 July 2017, 10:02:00 PM

Would you believe I have an early M4 Sherman with small hatch ready to mould, a conversion I did  ;)  just gone looking through the masters!!!!! which turret is it with the bullet splash on the 75mm barrel or the earlier version.

Dave

OldenBUA

Same turret as the M4A1, I think? So the one from BRV13 would work.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Sojka

28 July 2017, 08:31:08 PM #8 Last Edit: 28 July 2017, 08:38:16 PM by Sojka
Quote from: Dave on 27 July 2017, 07:54:29 PM
Would you believe I have an early M4 Sherman with small hatch ready to mould, a conversion I did  ;)  just gone looking through the masters!!!!! which turret is it with the bullet splash on the 75mm barrel or the earlier version.

Dave

You are amazing! And I believe they would be found with both versions, on both the M4 and M4A1, with the earlier version of course being earlier.

EDIT: Of course now i cannot find a pic of one with the old mount... regardless, the M4A1 turret, as Olden said, should be just fine!

http://www.pantser.net/wo2-us-made/mt/09-us08-M4-overloon.jpg

Dave

Quote from: Sojka on 28 July 2017, 08:31:08 PM
You are amazing! And I believe they would be found with both versions, on both the M4 and M4A1, with the earlier version of course being earlier.

EDIT: Of course now i cannot find a pic of one with the old mount... regardless, the M4A1 turret, as Olden said, should be just fine!

http://www.pantser.net/wo2-us-made/mt/09-us08-M4-overloon.jpg

its as in the picture without the extra plates on the side.

Dave

OldenBUA

The extra plates on the side (and turret) can appear on most Sherman variants, I think? They were either factory applied or retrofitted in the field. It mostly depends on the year. So, M4 model without plates, good for US army mid war (Torch, Husky, Anzio etc). And can be used a bit later too, if needed.

Aander lu bin óók lu.

NTM

Everything you need to know about Shermans can be found here

http://the.shadock.free.fr/sherman_minutia/

Wulf

Here's a bit of Sherman trivia, courtesy of a pal of mine (Tom Davidson, owner of the late lamented Dragon & George for anyone in the Glasgow area). He had a much beloved magazine article on the weld patterns of all forms of Sherman applique armour. Fascinating stuff...  =)

One thing was interesting though - the lower edges of the plates were not welded, so as to prevent moisture being trapped between the armour surfaces.

In 10mm scale... possibly hard to model...

Dave

Quote from: Dave on 31 July 2017, 08:24:22 PM
its as in the picture without the extra plates on the side.

Dave

just moulded the M4 sherman  :D

Dave

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Damn you Pendraken and your amazing customer service!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner