American War of Independence Rules

Started by urbancohort, 19 July 2017, 05:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

'Honours of War,' although written for the SYW, has a number of devotees who have adapted it to the AWI - all the information is obtainable on the HOW website.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

urbancohort

One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Dave Fielder

26 August 2017, 11:04:30 PM #17 Last Edit: 26 August 2017, 11:07:33 PM by Dave Fielder
Enjoy this: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=449965
Honours of War: American War of Independence

The 'Continental' American Troops of the American War of Independence (AWI) were born from rebellion and rejection of Great Britain's insistence on taxation and control over a nation with a strong independent steak. As a result it was initially an army mixed with professional and amateur members, with differing levels of ability and discipline although always highly motivated to continue the was in spite of constant tactical pressure from the British forces. The forces can be broken into those before the Von Steuben Valley Forge reforms and the highly disciplined and effective force, retrained and reinforced with French Allies after Valley Forge. The period from Dec 1777 until June 1778 was a vital time for the future US Army. Von Steuben penned his 'Blue Book' which became the standard US Army Training Manual. These stats should give you a usable army in the Honours of War system; keeping it simple and streamlined don't worry about all those special abilities to leap tall trees and bound through forests, use the rules as written in the book.

Brigade Commanders
Dithering 1-2
Dependable 3-6
Dashing N/A

Move initiative
-1 before Valley Forge
No modifier After Valley Forge

Fire initiative   
No modifier

Formation change
Deduct full move before Valley Forge
Half move after Valley Forge

Movement to flank and rear   
Deduct ¾ move before Valley Forge

Artillery   

Infantry
Militias should be rated as inferior, mainly because they stank of wee a bit like Baldrick. Regular troops should be rated as standard, treat light units as regular due to their prowess in woods and irregular formations.
One light unit can be classed as rifle armed, probably not completely true but this provides a bit of flavour for the army.

Cavalry
Whilst good horseman the Continental Army did not have the training or logistics to properly support a cavalry corps and Von Steuben concentrated on infantry and artillery. Thus cavalry are considered inferior throughout the war.

Artillery
Initially poorly armed and prepared they should be rated inferior prior to Valley Forge and then Standard afterwards.

Generals
Brigade commanders were largely amateur or promoted from lower levels of command. They did get better over time but keep them as per above. George Washington should be rated as Dashing, simply because he was!!
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

mart678

British Grenadier played some very large games using it also has senario's with different figure scale so you can fight the smaller also has the support of 4 very good scenario books

urbancohort

Quote from: Dave Fielder on 26 August 2017, 11:04:30 PM
Enjoy this: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=449965
Honours of War: American War of Independence

The 'Continental' American Troops of the American War of Independence (AWI) were born from rebellion and rejection of Great Britain's insistence on taxation and control over a nation with a strong independent steak. As a result it was initially an army mixed with professional and amateur members, with differing levels of ability and discipline although always highly motivated to continue the was in spite of constant tactical pressure from the British forces. The forces can be broken into those before the Von Steuben Valley Forge reforms and the highly disciplined and effective force, retrained and reinforced with French Allies after Valley Forge. The period from Dec 1777 until June 1778 was a vital time for the future US Army. Von Steuben penned his 'Blue Book' which became the standard US Army Training Manual. These stats should give you a usable army in the Honours of War system; keeping it simple and streamlined don't worry about all those special abilities to leap tall trees and bound through forests, use the rules as written in the book.

Brigade Commanders
Dithering 1-2
Dependable 3-6
Dashing N/A

Move initiative
-1 before Valley Forge
No modifier After Valley Forge

Fire initiative   
No modifier

Formation change

Movement to flank and rear   
Deduct ¾ move before Valley Forge

Artillery   

Infantry
Militias should be rated as inferior, mainly because they stank of wee a bit like Baldrick. Regular troops should be rated as standard, treat light units as regular due to their prowess in woods and irregular formations.
One light unit can be classed as rifle armed, probably not completely true but this provides a bit of flavour for the army.

Cavalry
Whilst good horseman the Continental Army did not have the training or logistics to properly support a cavalry corps and Von Steuben concentrated on infantry and artillery. Thus cavalry are considered inferior throughout the war.

Artillery
Initially poorly armed and prepared they should be rated inferior prior to Valley Forge and then Standard afterwards.

Generals
Brigade commanders were largely amateur or promoted from lower levels of command. They did get better over time but keep them as per above. George Washington should be rated as Dashing, simply because he was!!
Thanks for this. Will be starting on my 10mm AWI as soon as finances permit!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

holdfast

Yesterday I had a canter through the new Command and Colours AWI Game with Mollinary and we were mightily impressed at the period feel of it. It comes with blocks for units as with others from the C&C stable but having played it once we were digging out the figures to convert it back to a figures game which it is crying out for.

urbancohort

Quote from: holdfast on 12 October 2017, 07:24:41 PM
Yesterday I had a canter through the new Command and Colours AWI Game with Mollinary and we were mightily impressed at the period feel of it. It comes with blocks for units as with others from the C&C stable but having played it once we were digging out the figures to convert it back to a figures game which it is crying out for.
Holdfast, who is producing these rulds please? Not yet bought the figs but scoping and researching currently.

cameronian

Quote from: holdfast on 12 October 2017, 07:24:41 PM

Did you buy in the UK ? If so where pl.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: cameronian on 13 October 2017, 11:56:12 AM
Did you buy in the UK ? If so where pl.

Hi Cam,

I bought it from Gameslore, who seem to be based in Telford.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

mollinary

Quote from: urbancohort on 13 October 2017, 10:35:09 AM
Holdfast, who is producing these rulds please? Not yet bought the figs but scoping and researching currently.

Hi,

This is the latest Richard Borg Commands and Colors Boardgame, produced by Compass games.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

urbancohort

Cheers.

Nick the Lemming

I like Muskets and Tomahawks for skirmish games, and Maurice for larger games. Honours of War isn't bad too, but takes longer to play than I have time these days.

hakejumble

We have always used black powder rules at Grimsby Wargames and they are so easy to follow. All variables are just hit modifiers and you can soon pick it up. The only thing that can get a bit confusing with it, is the melee section.

Jake
— Visit my items for sale page at
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bobs-and-bits26

—� Visit my portfolio at www.fumblesfigures.com

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

holdfast

I have now played the C and C AWI four times and it plays very nicely. As for other C and C the units are 4 blocks with stickers on which works well but it is very tempting to replace the blocks with 10mm or 15mm figures.
The nice nuance is that if a unit has to retreat it must always test against falling apart, which happens infrequently for regulars and frequently for militia. My only reservation is that British Regulars and Continental Regulars have identical factors in all respects which may not always have been the case.
A very good game for a club night as the game typically takes 90 minutes to two hours once you have played one game and got your head round the things that are special to these rules. 90% of the C and C rules mechanisms are unchanged though.