American War of Independence Rules

Started by urbancohort, 19 July 2017, 05:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Dear all; because one can never have enough projects on the go, I am thinking about also starting a small AWI project.
Can anyone please recommend some rules suitable for period/scale?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Westmarcher

"Patriots & Loyalists" and "British Grenadier" spring to mind. There's also "Loose Files and American Scramble" (not to be confused with "Loose Flies and A Panicky Scramble ...") and Fat Wally's "Times That Try Men's Souls," which is his variation of "They Couldn't Hit an Elephant."

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on these as I have not played them. However, I have played "Black Powder" which is a good "go to" set with its AWI supplement (no special rules there but thoughtful and considered use of the existing rules plus loads of background info. including army orgs., uniforms and scenarios) and would recommend these. I also recommend Honours of War which, although for the Seven Years War, can be adapted to the AWI (see the Honours of War Forum).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Greg Novak did a very good Wing scale supplement for Volley & Bayonet that gives a very good game
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lanceflint

I have just placed a post under the "rules" section regarding a brand new set of AWI rules - Yankee Peas and Crackers!
They sound as if they maybe what you are looking for, simple, fast play, not requiring too many troops but still capable of handling battles.
Lance.

urbancohort

Quote from: Lanceflint on 21 July 2017, 09:58:57 PM
I have just placed a post under the "rules" section regarding a brand new set of AWI rules - Yankee Peas and Crackers!
They sound as if they maybe what you are looking for, simple, fast play, not requiring too many troops but still capable of handling battles.
Lance.
Lance, I will check that out, thank you!

urbancohort

Lance, have placed an order on e-bay. Thanks

Plampers

Had a look at sharp practice 2 by too fat lardies?

Great fun especially for smaller size conflicts. I am currently working on 10mm FIW and ACW for it. Though I have just ordered Black powder to try for larger battles.

old smokie

QuoteLance, have placed an order on e-bay. Thanks

bought them and tried them a few days ago, I like them  :-bd

Nosher

Sharp Practice 2 is excellent - ideal for AWI and French Indian Wars. Probably the best set of AWI rules I have ever played
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Nick the Lemming

My favourites for skirmish are Muskets and Tomahawks and for big battles Maurice.

Chad

cameronian

Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Dr Dave

Quote from: urbancohort on 19 July 2017, 05:59:27 PM
Dear all; because one can never have enough projects on the go, I am thinking about also starting a small AWI project.
Can anyone please recommend some rules suitable for period/scale?
Thanks

Black powder and their AWI supplement "Rebellion"