2ft x 2ft Skirmish Wargames Board for 28mm

Started by Roy, 19 July 2017, 04:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

2'x2' board for skirmish gaming. Needs some varnish to protect surfaces and a decision made on either clear water effects resin or gloss varnish for the stream - though it isn't, ideally, deep enough for the resin, as the instructions say it should be poured to a depth of 1/8" (2.5mm) and that's a little too deep for this model.

The board appears generic enough to, hopefully, see it used for a variety of periods and subjects. Primarily it was built to take up to the Catterick Garrison gaming club for Bushido, but I'm sure it'll see use elsewhere.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Raider4

Beautiful, really beautiful.

Cheers, Martyn
--

toxicpixie

That's really nice, Roy :D

If the resin "overflows" a little will it make it suitably marshy looking along the edges, assuming you're happy with that?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

My compliments to the chef !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Roy

Thanks all

Quote from: toxicpixie on 19 July 2017, 05:00:15 PM
If the resin "overflows" a little will it make it suitably marshy looking along the edges, assuming you're happy with that?

Nope. One of the reasons why I'll probably not use the resin for the job, to be honest. If I was certain there'd be no issue of pouring a depth of resin less than the 1/8" recommended then I'd just crack on with the job, but there's no point in doing so and finding its not strong enough due to being too thin. Bit of a balls up on my part, so I'll need to practice on something. I'll probably just apply multiple layers of gloss varnish, as I've seen that method used and have experience with the material.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

toxicpixie

Bum, shame :/ Still the gloss varnish method does look good, to be fair. I think most of my rivers have that :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

DFlynSqrl

Sandinista

What a great idea, and one that I am going to steal this weekend as I have an old pasting table  that I can use half of  :D

Cheers
Ian

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

I haven't done too much in the way of anything meaningful, hobby-wise, of late. In fact, all I've done since Partizan show the other weekend is pour some water effect resin onto the 2'x2' gaming board I made - as shown below.

The board is meant to be used for a variety of purposes, so for the purposes of these photo's I've used some of the trees I based for my Old West collection and a few of the buildings that I scratch built for Frostgrave. They don't look too out of place on the board, so will serve purpose as gaming terrain for my immediate needs - namely Star Trek skirmishing using the Mutants and Death Ray Guns rules.

The board is finished (except for a varnish coat on the brown frame), and I may take another look at those ruins and see if they can be improved upon. I've also some other trees that need the bases finishing, so I may base those to match this board.

toxicpixie

That water effect has come up lovely :)

Those ruins look fine - I can just picture a shirt ripped Kirk dodging behind and around them trying not to expose his girdle :D

Womble67

Looks very good for such a small board

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

sunjester

ErHo

Good job!  Made the most out of a small area!
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!