Started by cameronian, 19 July 2017, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Waterhouse

Arma Pacis Fulcra

Glorfindel

Interesting stuff.   I read Howard and thought his history of the FPW was excellent.   

I only had a sketchy understanding of the FPW before reading this and was surprised
how much of the conflict happened after the 'Imperial phase'.

Leman

Came as an eyeopener to me as well when I read Howard back in the 80s. My Head asked if he could borrow it after hearing me talk about it in the staffroom, absolutely loved it, then asked if he could borrow The Debacle and loved that as well - didn't half get me some brownie points back in the days when senior management were part of the gang rather than OFSTED's enforcers.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 10 August 2019, 10:05:20 AM
Have just found Bruce Weigle's new website ......

Beginning to see why you like Weigle's rules, Leman. The information about the various versions and eye candy on the site is quite seductive.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

When 1870 first appeared, somewhere around 2001, I played it for two or three years. It was the first rulebook I recall that had Republican phase scenarios. However, most of the scenarios were massive and impractical to stage, so apart from Wissembourg we only ever played made up scenarios. Further there were aspects of the rules which were very confusing, e.g. what exactly was supposed to happen to a unit that entered woods. On top of all that there was the four page QRS, so after about 2004 it was quietly dropped with only the occasional outing (I had another go at the original Wissembourg about four years ago). 1871 has addressed those problems. Troops in woods is now clearly and simply explained, all combat has been streamlined and unnecessary complications removed and the QRS is now two sided and coloured. There are also suggestions on how to break up the bigger battles, which I would be inclined to do as BBB allows me to fight practically all of the bigger battles on a 6x4.

Westmarcher

Thanks, Leman. That's really useful to get an insight into these rules from someone who has actually played them and discovered their imperfections.  For the newcomer to these rules, what do you reckon is the way ahead for this stable of rules? Should the 1859 to 1870 versions be avoided and only the 1871 version used with reliance placed on downloading the faster play QRSs if you wish to play the other years? 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Chad

I was one of the Uk testers for 1870, 1866 and 1859

Westmarcher

11 August 2019, 08:14:27 PM #37 Last Edit: 11 August 2019, 08:16:53 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: Chad on 11 August 2019, 06:12:14 PM
I was one of the Uk testers for 1870, 1866 and 1859

That's interesting to know also, Chad. Looking back almost twenty years now, and given the above observations, your experience in playing other rules since then and the general direction wargaming rules have taken since then, what are your observations on this stable of rules today (including 1871, which you were not involved in the play testing of, but presumably would still involve many of the ideas and concepts you either had a hand in or play tested)?   :)

Steve J

The books are worth it for more than just the rules (which you probably know), as they have great scenarios and loads of background info on the periods covered. I think the 1871 rules came about in response to the elegant simplicity of Chris Pringle's Bloody Big Battles, but I could be wrong.

Leman

I think you may be right Steve. There are certain similarities in the way dice rolls determine both the loss of stand and the result of both shooting and melee, thus dispensing with morale rolls. My preference would be to buy the rulebook for the periods you are most interested in, but use 1871 as the overall rules. The conflict differences are covered in the 6 page downloadable explanation of the changes to the QRS for 1859, 1864 and 1866. The new system of play is very slick, and I am likely to use Bruce's own suggestion to try out parts of very large battles using the new rules at half or quarter scale.

I am attending Colours again this year where Bruce will be playing his San Martino scenario from 1859. I assume he will be demonstrating how the fast play rules and QRS can be used with this older scenario.

Dave Fielder

Regardless of rules choice Bruce always puts on a beautiful display. His model boards are works of art and his figure collection set a standard in the wat Peter Gilder did many years ago.
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

Leman

Looks like I will concentrate on Villepion (1871 - quarter scale), Loigny - west of Lumeau (1870 - full scale) and Poupry (1871 - half scale), using the 1871 rule system. This will give three scenarios in the same area over two days in snowy weather.