Basing

Started by FJAdams, 25 August 2017, 04:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJAdams

As soon as the revised BK III are released I plan to buy them and put together a couple of armies.
Decided to go with 3mm as the space required will better fit what I have. Also the cost will be less as I already spend too much on 10mm Warband and Warmaster armies.

Any way, what I'd like to know from people who have much more knowledge than me is if they would go with 25x25mm or 30x30mm bases. I plan to put 3 tanks, trucks, etc on each base as I think they will look good that way.
Which bases would work best if I decide to buy scenery like roads, bridges, fields, houses, etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Frank.

FJAdams

Also haven't ruled out 6mm with 1 or 2 per base. With the same size bases.
Haven't picked up any 6 yet to see the size, how they fit on the bases, and the detail. 

Dr Dave

I don't think it will make too much difference tbh in game terms, but get some 3mm tanks and put them on a base and see how they look. You'll want to a decent tactical space between them - at least a tanks width or more berween each. For that reason perhaps 30mm. I had 6mm models on 50 wide x 30 deep and any smaller would have been a car park! The only other thought I have is why use squares?

toxicpixie

For tiny scale scenery you're spoiled for choice - Peter Pig (ACW Ironclads range!), Brigade Games, Supreme Littleness do excellent "actual" 3mm stuff (in resin or MDF respectively!), whilst Irregular's 2mm range is massive (boom-boom) if possibly a bit small depending on taste - for "BUA" markers or similar it'll likely work fine but might look a bit odd for purists. Fortunately it's so cheap you could get a few samples for a fiver and even if they don't quite fit they'll do somewhere unobtrusive...

I guess 30mm square bases means "full scale" table size as I think that's about what most of us use in 6mm anyway, but a group of 3mm tanks in formation would look cool on that and give a much better tactical look to them.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

I'm going for 40mm x 20mm bases, same as I use for 10mm and just putting more things on them.

Plan is to have roughly a platoon's worth of stuff per base - though some artistic licence will no doubt be involved!

Tanks, guns, MGs and mortars will tend to be in fours. I'm using Oddzial Osmy figures so intend to have a limbered and unlimbered version of towed guns.

The only infantry platoon I've done, so far, has 30 figures (crammed way too close to be realistic!) on a 40x20 base.

The only completed units I've pictures of are some Sdkfz 234/1 armoured cars - done in 3s as that seems to be how they were deployed.

For terrain I've got Brigade Small Scale Scenery (1:1000), Irregular Miniatures (2mm) and Supreme Littleness (3mm) and intend to get some Oddzial Osmy ruins (1:600). Irregular are too small for my taste and will be added to my pile of unpainted Renaissance 2mm stuff. The Brigade stuff is smaller than I'd like but they have a good range of stuff suitable for 1944 France so I guess they'll have to do meantime. 

I'd say go with whatever seems right to you, unless you are planning to play other people with their own figures, when similar sized bases are useful.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FJAdams

Quote from: Dr Dave on 25 August 2017, 09:54:15 AM
I don't think it will make too much difference tbh in game terms, but get some 3mm tanks and put them on a base and see how they look. You'll want to a decent tactical space between them - at least a tanks width or more berween each. For that reason perhaps 30mm. I had 6mm models on 50 wide x 30 deep and any smaller would have been a car park! The only other thought I have is why use squares?

I thought I read somewhere that BKC III use square bases. 
I'm thinking that if I go with 3mm I'd put three figures per base and if I use 6mm I'd go one figure per base.  Mostly waiting until I get a copy of the rules to see what they are like. Also need to order some 6mm and see what they look like compared to the 3mm.

Sandinista

I'm thinking of using hex bases for my forces

Cheers
Ian

Itinerant Hobbyist

6mm
20cm x 20cm infantry and guns
10cm x10cm HQ and special weapons (this is a pretty small base and hard to label)
20cm x 30cm tanks - too short for the big cats - barrels stick over
30cm x 30cm COs

If doing it over I may have gone w weapons and hqs on 20 x 20 as well.

Itinerant Hobbyist

Pardon my typos above, those are of course no 30cm bases, but 3cm or 30mm bases...same with all my measurements. 30 cm bases for 6mm would be quite large!

Steve J

I was going to say they were a tad on the large size... ;) :D