North European Bronze age

Started by Heedless Horseman, 16 July 2017, 01:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

If it gets started, I may begin a small project along skirmish lines set in 'Bronze Age' or late Neolithic Northern Europe. Figures are a problem! But,  (as it would be a 'fun' project, and not too 'historical')...will use Barbarians with some Celts and Amazons. Weapons could be cut down to stone axes, clubs or flint spear tips...or filed for more appropriate Bronze age size and shape.  'Arnie' bodies, fur underpants and boots? Well, whatever! Not too much choice in 10mm and but not  a 'serious' project, anyway!  ;)

I have been looking for small, very primitive, ox/pony carts or pack ponies. They must be somewhere on PD!  Mongol civvies have some stuff, but  head gear/clothing is a bit dubious for period...unless I just go for the 'Conan' look, lol! 

Buildings? New round houses or huts look good   :) ...but I am sure that I have seen a scenic piece (from another source  :o ) which had a couple of round huts built into a walled enclosure? Think it was 10mm and described as a 'village'...but cannot now find it in the places where I thought it may have been. Any clues? I rather like the idea of a Crannog settlement...but probable too much effort!   :(  Plenty of sheep/pigs/geese, etc for booty now though!   ;D

Not sure whether it will get started...but...    8)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Ithoriel

Hovels ( http://www.hovelsltd.co.uk ) have a 15mm scale Celtic Farm

As to troop types, if we're talking Late Neolithic/ Early Bronze Age Europe, then the Tollense battlefield (http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/slaughter-bridge-uncovering-colossal-bronze-age-battle) and Otzi the Iceman suggest troops that look something like this:

Later on, the Urnfield Culture warriors would probably look like slightly odd Gauls/ Britons.

Not quite Conan!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

I wonder if they'd have been that well-fed?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ithoriel

16 July 2017, 03:01:56 AM #3 Last Edit: 16 July 2017, 03:11:17 AM by Ithoriel
Quote from: FierceKitty on 16 July 2017, 02:55:47 AM
I wonder if they'd have been that well-fed?

They certainly seem to have been pretty robustly built. The problems that come with urbanisation and a greater dependence on farming compared with hunting and gathering were still ahead of them.

Reconstruction of Otzi from his remains is

Not Conan material but not a 7 stone weakling either.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

Don't even think about it, Nobby ! :P

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Ow! I think Ibit throughmylip. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

You OIK !!!!

The sad thing is......There are certain parts of his 'frame' that are far too similar to yours truly, to be comfortable.

His hands and fingers are FAR too big, though...and his biceps.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

He's got your hairy legs though.  :D

To re-rail the thread, it's an interesting project. 

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 16 July 2017, 11:28:49 AM
His hands and fingers are FAR too big, though...

Cheers - Phil

Yeah, well, we all know the reason for that  X_X

;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: fsn on 16 July 2017, 11:51:09 AM
To re-rail the thread, it's an interesting project. 

Ditto!

AI11, Ancient Indian Forest Tribesmen (possibly with the headdresses clipped) might be useful: I bought some to use as hyperborean Picts.

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Great idea for this project! :)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 16 July 2017, 11:57:38 AM
AI11, Ancient Indian Forest Tribesmen (possibly with the headdresses clipped) might be useful: I bought some to use as hyperborean Picts.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 16 July 2017, 12:44:20 PM
Great idea for this project! :)

Actually, my first thought was to use the Pict range painting the clothing a mix  of browns, creams, greys, black and white to represent animal skins and the natural dyes used for textiles.

fsn

Bit of texturing for the fur, perhaps?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yay, and my Picts get more sales! ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Heedless Horseman

Thank guys.
Ithoriel: the village would be great, but far larger than what I am envisioning. Old Glory have a stone walled settlement, (not currently available), but it looks a bit Southern European for me. Sure I've seen something similar somewhere.
Yep, the clothing should be more like the illustrations...although the artist impressions look a bit more ragged than I think most folk would wear in practice...even if it was warmer!  ;)  They had a long time to perfect needlecraft and tailoring...think 'Buckskins'.
That battlefield report was what started me thinking about the project. Pre Celtic Europe has often been depicted as a pastoral idyll. I've always doubted it...people don't change much.   :(  More like Indian tribes in the U.S, I think...but with the odd bronze sword/dagger/axe/spearhead in the mix!   :)

Ancient Indians aren't bad...but I just can't get away with the running flat out pose in any period! lol.
Pict spearmen very nice...(no shields!)...but I would want more variety for a skirmish. Excellent for sentries or herd/caravan guards.
I may start with the Barbarians though. I am curious about whether I can cut and file the weapons down to approximate real stuff from the period. I can just ignore the hairy diapers and wellies!   ;D
There are several sling/bow figs who might do...Hah! I'd forgotten entirely about slingers!  ;D
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)